Part 2 - Little Light

Myrna Caldwythe, Jereme's wife, was visited in a dream by the Goddess Elliana's gleaming visage. "Myrna, your faithfulness has pleased me, and I have come in answer to your prayers. Thou shalt give birth to a girl child. She will be a gift to your family and Aederan." This news was of no small import and joy-filled both their hearts. Both looked forward to the new addition to their family and prepared for their future child's arrival.

Nine months later, Myrna gave birth to a baby girl with beautiful blue eyes. Their child was named Brenna, which means Little Light. Elliana could not have chosen better parents. For true love bound their family together, which made each strong of body and mind.

Brenna's mother, Myrna, had been born blind, but she could perceive in ways that others could not. Elliana favored her and had given her Clear Sight. She could often glimpse the future. Many were those who came to their humble home seeking what she would tell them for a few silver coins.

Jereme, Brenna's father, possessed exceptional knowledge about natural healing with herbs. If not addressing one afflicted by illness, he usually gathered herbs for various elixirs and salves. He treated forest folk, who paid in copper coins, poultry, or vegetables picked fresh from their gardens. Between what Brenna's parents earned as a seer and healer, the Caldwythe family made a modest living. What mattered most to them was love, caring, and life's simple pleasures filled their home and their lives.

The pitter-patter of a child's little feet ran around and around inside their tiny home. Whether playing with her cloth doll or hiding behind her hands while playing peek-a-boo, the young child's energy never seemed to wane. Deep within the wood, amongst towering trees and swift-flowing cold streams, Brenna grew strong and healthy. Her friends flew, climbed trees, and scampered across the leaf-covered ground.

Brenna Caldwythe, now nine years old, waded quietly through the shallow water, which flowed slow and precise. Her father was lying next to her mother on a green blanket. His worn brown leather belt held up Jereme's tan leggings, and each pant leg was rolled up to his knee. He was wearing no top to cover his sun-tanned back. His hair was primarily gray mixed with dark brown, and it hung limply in the muggy air.

Movement caught Brenna's eye. She turned her head to grin at her mother, who was wearing a simple pale-yellow shift. She was barefooted, with graying brown hair tied back in a ponytail. Her gift allowed Myrna to sense what her daughter was doing, which was creating mischief. The little girl raised a finger to her lips, and her mother nodded.

Brenna crouched down with cupped hands. Shrieking with laughter, she splashed water on her resting father, causing him to rise quickly. "Ayaaaah. Now, you're going to get it."

Her father started making his bear sounds and slowly rose to give chase. Swinging his arms about, Jereme now hunted for her. She ran while smiling widely, for this was her most favorite game. Squealing with delight, Brenna scrambled behind a large tree, crouched down in tall grass, and excitedly looked around her.

As Brenna turned her head, the air shimmered at the water's edge. Standing before her stood a pretty lady with long brown hair and softly glowing blue eyes. Her clothing was green like leaves and gray like bark. She held a delicate woven green bracken circle, covered with tiny white flowers in her hands. The child did not recognize the stranger, yet being near her made her smile. Her father's bear sounds were getting closer, yet she no longer wanted to play. The little girl faced the woman and listened to the leaves rustling in the wind. She heard vague whispers.

"Yes-you can sense the whispers, can't you? Already, you are a gifted and clever child. This crown is for you, Brenna," the woman spoke kindly within Brenna's mind. "For the sacred flowers of Tae Layneata are as precious and pure as your heart is. The Elder Powers of Aederan give this freely, for we love you."