Chapter Nine - Merlin's First Year

"Dearest Diary,
Today is September 1st, 1001. You know what that means, that means that it's Merlin Malachite's first year. I decided to let him go into Hogwarts with the rest of the first years. Across the Black Lake. He was actually scared to go across the lake, but I assured him that the mermaids at the bottom of the lake would put him back in the boat if he fell out.

After I said that he was okay with going across the lake. I'm currently waiting for the first years to arrive in the Great Hall. Ooh, here they are."

The whisp exited the pages of the diary, and appeared in front of the teachers table. An image appeared, and it showed a nice crowded Great Hall. There were five tables. At the left it was the Gryffindor table with its red, lion crested banners sitting proudly above the table. Next to them was Hufflepuff, with it's yellow, badger crested banners sitting there. In the middle of the room was the Malachite table, with it's purple, phoenix crested banners sitting there, contrasting to the other for. Then there was Ravenclaw, aand their blue, eagle crested banners. And the final table, to the very right, was the green, snake crested banners, resting above the Slytherin table.

Students from teh age of 12-18 sat at the tables, sporting their house colors.

You could see the first years in their plain black robes being led in by an older man with stark white hair, wearing a lovely lilac robe. He led the first years to the front of the room, where a three legged stool sat with the Sorting Hat perched ontop.

The first years stopped a couple meters from the hat, but the man continued on to the hat, and picked up a scroll from the stool. He opened it up, and started reading off the scroll.

In the modern Great Hall, people gasped at one of the names that was called.

"Morgana Le Fay," the man shouted.

A short eleven year old stepped out of the crowd with confidence. She had lovely black hair in a waterfall braid, the hair that wasn't in the braid, fell to her midback. She had gray-green eyes that were filled with nervousness despite her pose.

Morgana walked up to the hat, and as the man lifted up the hat, she sat on the stool. The sorting hat was placed on her head. It was quiet for a minute or two before the hat called out, "MALACHITE!"

Everyone at the phoenix bannered table erupted into applause, and Morgana let out a visible sigh of relief, and walked over to the empty section of the Malachite table, specially reserved for first years.

"Finnick Potter," the man shouted.

Finnick looked like the male version of Morgana. He was confident, he had well groomed black hair, and green eyes. He walked up to the stool, and sat down. Not even a second after the hat was placed on his head, did it shout, "GRYFFINDOR!!"

Both the Malachite table and the Gryffindor table clapped for Finnick.

"Esther Longbottom," the man called and a short, shy girl with straight brown hair and brown eyes, hesitentaly shuffled up to the stool, and sat down. The Sorting Hat was placed on her head, and it was quiet in the Great Hall for a moment before it shouted out her house.

"MALACHITE!!"

"Rebecca Lestrange."

"MALACHITE!!"

"Frederick Diggory."

"HUFFLEPUFF!!"

"Helena Ravenclaw."

"RAVENCLAW!!"

"Gillian Goyle."

"SLYTHERIN!!"

"Merlin Malachite," the man said.

The Great Hall outside of the image was silent as they watched an eleven year old Merlin shyly walk up to stool and sit down. The hat was placed down on his head. But, instead of the hat calling out right away, it was quiet. It kept opening and closing it's mouth.

Soon the image was speeding up, almost fast forwarding, and what maybe was a half an hour, the hat finally shouted, "ALL HOUSE!!"

All of the houses tables roared in applause, but everyone outside of the image stared at it confused, not understanding what it meant.

But, the image soon faded, and turned to the whisp, which -as usual- disappeared back into Margarette's diary. And not long after, her voice entered the Great Hall.

"I couldn't be more proud of Merlin! He was sitting on the stoll for almost a half of an hour.

And for those how are confused of what an 'All House' is, it's when someone has personality attributes of all five of the houses. They're loyal and hardworking, brave and daring, sly and cunning, intelligent and creative, and eccentric and look at things differently.

For anyone, they can sit at anytable they want, then choose which house they'll be staying at. They have the choice of staying there the entire year, or changing house locations after each break. So they have a house before Christmas holiday, then change afterward. They keep that location until Easter holiday then change afterward. They keep that house till the end of the year.

Students in All House can live at three different houses throughout a term.

And I hope Merlin chooses to change location after each holiday. This -hopefully- will bring the houses closer together, and he can make plenty of friends.

Sincerely,
Margarette Malachite."