explanation of plot

Some SciFi books can have very confusing plots where a lot is going on and to some readers this may be very confusing, so explaining the plot is key. When I say explain I don't mean reveal all, but if there are some key elements then make sure that the reader is aware of them.

E.g if the human race has died of disease, you have to tell your reader that! They can't just make estimations for themselves.

A way quite a lot of writers explain the basis of their plot is through a prologue which introduces the story and is usually around 500 words. This is where you can tell your reader anything that have to know right from the start and they won't be confused.

Also if there is some made up vocabulary in your story, maybe explain what the words mean whilst incorporating it into the story.

Never just have a block of text which explains everything in one place

E.g there is a massive war betweens the Mascannons who are from Mars and the Jupers from Jupiter. The world is dead and everything is gone except a few houses.

That's quite boring to read and the reader will assume that your writing technique is pretty basic so why not explain the plot like this:

Everything is gone- all of it! As I walk down the desolate road, covered in ash and gunpowder, I can only see the last few crumbling houses which will soon turn to rubble. The bangs from the war can be heard even from miles away, I wait to hear the battle cries from the Mascannons who came to destroy our world, travelling from Mars. We blindly welcomed them in, only for them to murder us, enslave us and burn us alive.

When the Jupers came, I thought we were saved. How wrong I was. We should have never trusted them, they came from Jupiter pretending to be naive beings. Once they had killed the last of us, they began to fight with the Mascannons. I am beginning to think these creatures are just bloodthirsty animals. I am the only one left. They will find me soon.

That is probably very crappy and stupid but you get the idea!