13.0

(Sarai's P.O.V)

I woke up to someone caressing my hair. It was my mom.

Out of all people she is the one that truly understands me. I quickly got up and hugged her tightly. I started crying again.

"Que paso mijita?" She asked concerned.

"Nada..." I tried to fake a smile.

"Como que nada, si acabas de llorar." She said.

"Es que Evelyn me dijo que es mi culpa que Enrique esta en la carcel. Y despues me dio una cachetada." I cried.

"Y Joel estaba alli?" She asked.

"Si pero todavia no le habia dicho lo que paso. Seguro piensa lo peor de mi." I sniffled.

"Tarde o temprano se va a tener que enterar. Es mejor que tu le digas." My mom said.

"Tiene razon. Pero ahora no puedo." I said.

My mom seem to be always right. I know I have to tell him but how? How should I start? I'll just say "oh yea you know Joel a couple of years ago I got raped, that's all you have to know." It's hard to tell someone these kind of things.

I wasn't prepared to to tell him, not quite yet.

Someone rang the doorbell. I didn't want to get up so my stood up and checked who it was.

While my mom went to go open the door I checked my phone. I still had a lot of messages from Joel, Sandi, and Erick. I was about to answer them but my mom came back.

"Hija, Sandi esta aqui. Quiere verte." My mom half smiled.

"Digale que pase." I replied.

Sandi came upstairs and as soon as she saw me she hugged me tightly.

"Oh my god Sarai. Are you ok?" She asked worried.

"I'm fine." I half smile.

"You didn't answer any of my messages. I thought something terrible happened to you. Joel is worried sick about you." She said.

"Sorry it's just that as soon as I got home I fell asleep." I say.

Sandi eyed me suspiciously. As if I was hiding something maybe because I was.

"You didn't self harm right?" She asked.

"No?" I said it more like a question rather than a statement.

I hadn't done it for a while. It took alot of strength for me to stop doing it. But I somehow collasped, I couldn't stand the fact that Evelyn was blaming me for everything. All the memories and flashbacks from that night came back to haunt me. I just had to do it.

"Fine then let me see your arms." She said.

I didn't want to show her but she grabbed my hand before I could pull away. I flinched when she rolled up my sleeve.

"I thought we had an agreement that you wouldn't do it again." Sandi said with tears in her eyes.

"I just couldn't resist it. The blade was there and I was tempted to do it. It's not like anybody cares." I cried.

"I care, Joel cares, Erick cares. Your mom cares. You have so much to live for Sarai. Don't let someone as ignorant as Evelyn take that joy from you." She said caressing my hair.

"If only it was that easy. I was finally getting my life back together but Evelyn had to come and remind me everything that happened." I answered.

"It's hard I know but you have to try. Joel will understand if you tell him what happened. He's not like other guys, he truly loves you Sarai." Sandi reassured me.

"You're right Sandi. I should talk to him and explain him everything. Thank you. If it wasn't for you I probably wouldn't be here." I wiped off my tears and hugged her.

"No problem kiddo. And talking about Joel he's downstairs. He wants to see you. Should I let him come in?" She asked.

"Yes. He deserves an explanation." I replied.

Sandi went downstairs to get Joel. I was nervous ut at the same time relieved because I was finally going to tell Joel the secret I always kept to myself.

"Sarai. Are you ok?" Joel asked as he came in my room.

"Yes I'm fine." I half smiled.

"Well I'll leave you guys alone so you can talk. Erick and I will be downstairs if you need anything." Sandi smiled.

Sandi left the room and it was just me and Joel.

"Can I ask you something?" Joel said breaking the silence.

"Sure." I answered.

"What did Evelyn mean by saying that her brother is in jail because of you?" He questioned.

"Umm it...it's a long story." I sighed.

"I'm all ears. You can trust me babe." He grinned.

"Last year I met Enrique, Evelyn's brother, he was a senior and I was a sophomore. We started talking and instantly clicked. Overtime we became best friends and eventually started dating. It was like a fairy tale, everyone wanted a relationship like ours. I really loved him and trusted. I told him my darkest secrets but I should've known that he wasn't serious about the relationship. He invited me to a party and of course there was alcohol there. I drank a few drinks and ended up getting drunk, he took advantage of the situation and raped me. Next thing I know he's telling the whole school my secrets and everyone started became fun of me. Some called me a slut, a whore, and worse names. I...I felt so worthless, I would harm myself to forget about the pain that he caused. I almost got to the point of suicide, that's when my mom intervened and filed suit against Enrique for raping me. Since he was already 18 he went to jail. His whole family hates me, they blame me for everything, but they don't seem to realize that he took away something that can't be given back to me." I cried.

I looked at Joel and he was also crying. I cried even harder.

"Yo-you aren't worthless Sarai. That douchebag isn't worth your tears. I promise you that no one,and I mean it, will never hurt you again. And that includes me." He hugged me tightly.

"But I have one more question." He said.

"What is it?" I replied.

"Do you still self harm?" He asked.

I looked down at my arms. I didn't want to answer his question.

"Do you?" He asked again raising my face to look at him.

"I-uh-I did it today but this is the first time I have done it in a while." I answered.

He hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead.

"Promise me something. Promise me that you won't self harm anymore. That you'll forget about what Enrique did to you I know it's not easy but try. Promise me that you won't ever think of suicide again.." Joel begged.

"I promise Joel." I said giving him a half smile.

"I love you Sarai."

"I love you too Joel."

So I decided that I am going to continue with the story! Thank you all for your comments, you guys are my motivation💕

Vote, comment, and follow😊

Till next time😉-Kari J.❤