Chapter Eleven

*Bo's POV*

The doorbell rang just as Cordy went to put her hair up in a bun. She rolled her eyes and made her way to the door. She let out a small breath before speaking.

"What do you want?" She snapped.

We all stopped and listened. I set down the pieces of the broken plate and stood. Steve's eyes were wide as he stared at whatever was in the doorway. There was an exchange of words with her and whoever was there. I knew it was one of the boys, but what worried me was that their voice sounded strained. She mumbled something before there was the shuffle of feet. I scooted over to the doorway just as she turned around to say something.

"Sodapop's changing sides." She called out.

"Soda!" Steve shouted, running out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"Steve!" Soda yelled back, happily jumping into his best friend's arms.

They laughed with joy as Steve swung Sodapop in a circle.

"Man I missed you!" Soda hugged Steve tight once his feet were back on the floor.

"I missed you too!"

"Soda's switching?" I asked, finally stepping into the living room.

Sodapop coughed awkwardly as he let go of Steve. Each of them took a step back and smoothed a hand over their hair.

"Yeah, I'm switching." He grinned at me.

I looked and him and couldn't help but be reminded of Darry, so I only smiled back and said, "I'm glad, Soda."

"Yeah me too." He turned to Cordy, who was leaning against the doorway, "Hey listen Cordy -"

"What do you think you're doing here?" Dally's rough voice growled from behind us.

Sodapop jumped back nervously.

"How dare you come back?" Dally yelled again, taking another step forward.

Cordy noticed and quickly stepped in front of him. Instinct took over and I stood in front of Soda - not that I would protect him against Dally. Johnny grabbed Dally's shoulder.

"Dal. Dal, hey. Listen to me." Cordy started to shush him.

His heavy breathing instantly slowed, so I forced myself away from Soda. Cordy stroked his cheek and said some other things, but I didn't really hear them. I trudged up the stairs and into my room.

What was the point of this? What, another rumble, even after Cordy got hurt? Fight until one of the boys dropped dead? Until Dally or Darry decided to leave? I flopped onto the bed and smushed my face into my pillow.

"Hey. Can I come in?" Steve knocked on the door.

"Yeah, sure." I twisted around and kicked the thick blanket onto the floor.

"This came for you in the mail." He placed an envelope at my feet before heading back to the door.

I sat up and picked the envelope up, "Thanks Stevish."

"Yeah, no problem Bo." He shut the door behind him. I didn't notice it creaking open.

There was no return address or anything, but I knew the handwriting by heart. Only one person could write Bonnie Matthews and make it look like that. Pony.

I felt a small smile on my lips as I opened the letter and carefully unfolded the paper.

Dear Bo,

In case you haven't figured it out yet, it's Pony. I just wanted to tell you some things. First of all, I'm real sorry. I hope you'll forgive me for what I said and did.