Chapter Five

I woke up to the phone ringing for what was probably the fifth time. I was a really heavy sleeper. I clambered off of my bed and made my way to the phone.

"Hello?" I asked through a yawn.

"Morning, girl."

"Hey Sodapop." I mumbled, sliding down against the wall. Thankfully, the cord reached far enough.

"We're having a party for Carry. Ya know-"

"Cordy and Darry, yeah I know because I told you in the first place."

"Yeah, well it's the whole gang. Tonight. Be there, okay?" I could hear the grin in his voice.

"Sure. Hey, is Pony up?" I ventured with caution.

"No, he's still asleep."

"Oh. Okay. Well, we'll be there. See ya, Sodapop."

"Bye." He hung up the phone.

I put the phone back in its place and shuffled to Two-Bit's room. I knocked on the door.

"Party as Sodapop's tonight."

I only got a tired groan in response. I slinked down the stairs into the living room. Johnny was sleeping on the couch. I tucked the blanket under his chin and kissed his head. Cordy must've stayed at the Curtis house.

I ate some cereal for breakfast and sat on the counter to eat it. Normally Two-Bit and I ate on the couch, watching Mickey. But Johnny was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him. I finished eating in about ten minutes. I quietly turned out of the kitchen and made my way up the stairs, careful of creaky floorboards. Johnny stayed asleep. I shut the door to my room and threw myself on the bed.

Why did Two have to call me inside right then? Why didn't I just tell him the truth?

'Yeah, Pony, I feel it too and I'm hopelessly in love with you'

Never mind.

***

I got dressed at four. When Sodapop said night, it normally meant at five in the evening. I put on a flannel I had stolen from him a couple of years ago and a pair of shorts. I never wore makeup, unlike practically all other greaser girls.

I trudged back down the steps and saw Mickey playing on the TV. I hopped over the back of the couch - something I had mastered a few days ago - and sat next to Johnny.

"Hey, so I heard that you have a thing for Ponyboy." He spoke up.

I looked around, glad to see Two-Bit was nowhere to be found.

"Who told you?" I demanded.

"Well, kind of you when you were cleaning off his face. Then Cordy let it slip."

"Is it obvious?" I dared to ask, refusing to look at him.

"Well I'm not exactly the most observant person when it comes to you and Ponyboy, but I doubt it."

"Thanks Johnny." I mumbled, settling onto the couch and letting my extreme tiredness wash over me again.

***

"Hey Sodapop!" I called out as I walked through the open front door of the Curtis house.

"Bo!" Cordy came running down the stairs, wearing Darry's shirt.

My eyes widened as she hugged me. Pony chuckled at me from the kitchen.

"I just needed pajamas." She giggled.

"Oh, okay. Where's Soda?" I asked.

"Cheater!" I heard Steve shout.

"Sodapop, get that ace out of your shoe!" I scolded from the bottom of the stairs.