Chapter One

I shoved Sodapop aside into the grass. He grinned, and I couldn't help but laugh. He was good at making happiness contagious. Darry just smiled and shook his head at us.

"That is a lie." I denied everything Soda, my best friend, had spewed without stopping.

"Glory girl, you're redder than a tomato." He chuckled and swung an arm over my shoulders.

"You shut your trap." I huffed playfully, holding back laughter.

"But you know it's true." Cordy, my best best friend, giggled back from next to Darry.

Darry was about to open his mouth to say something when his eyes widened. I cut my laugh short as soon as I saw the red Corvair parked at the entrance to an alleyway.

"Soda! Bo!" Was that ...

My mind let the pieces fall into place after I had started running to the alley, Sodapop hot on my trail.

"Pony!" I elbowed my way through a group of surprised Socs, who quickly turned to face the rest of the gang.

Their grunts were heard as punches landed. I grabbed his bloody hand in one of my own. I gently opened his mouth so I could take out the cloth they had shoved there. I brushed his brown hair out of his face, feeling anger bubble inside me at the sight of his new-found cuts. Suddenly, Darry was beside me, grabbing Pony under the arms and shaking him, hard.

"Are you all right, Ponyboy?"

Pony's eyes were kind of hazy as he tried to mumbled out some words.

"Darry, be gentle." I placed one hand on Darry's shoulder and tightened my grip on Pony's hand.

"I'm okay. Quit shaking me, Darry, I'm okay." He managed to push out some words.

Darry stopped in an instant. "I'm sorry."

I let go of Pony's hand as I helped him sit up. He rubbed at his cheek, which was quickly bruising blue. I stayed on my knees next to him, eyes trained to where the rest of the boys had gone. Darry shoved his fists in his pockets, eyeing his youngest brother nervously.

"They didn't hurt you too bad, did they?"

At Pony's lack of an answer, my eyes shot to him. He was shaking and looking like he wanted to cry. I didn't blame him. Getting jumped hurt. But he simply shook his head, shooting a false smile my way.

"I'm okay." He muttered.

Sodapop was circling back, the rest of the gang behind him. He dropped next to Pony, pulling out a handkerchief and wetting the end of it with his tongue. Soda was that kind of person. He had always been there for me, so it was no doubt that he would be there for Pony.

It was our first day at the new school and the Socs were already all over us. Two-Bit, my brother, wasn't in any of my classes, so I was all alone. I had heard more than enough snorts and giggles by the third hour. I gathered my stuff as the bell rang. Golly, did I wanna go home. I wasn't paying attention as I sped out of the classroom. I didn't register what was happening until my nose made contact with the dirty floor of the hallway. My books had fallen out in front of me. Laughs could be heard from behind me.

Socs.

I buried my face into my thick hair, stifling sobs. After a moment, I heard some thuds and grunts. I cautiously looked behind me, only to see most of the Socs gone. One of them was getting yelled at by another kid, who was maybe ten. He finished saying whatever it was he way saying before letting the other kid go. As soon as the Soc was out of sight, the boy twirled around and ran to me, dropping by my side.