Chapter 4~ Mystery~ Jane

I knew going to actual school would take time to get used to, seeing as I'd never been around people other than my family, Jace, Ryder, and the rest of the mafia --but it all brought an exciting feeling to the pit of my stomach, despite the fact that only a mere few days into my college experience, I'd come to realize that the people around me were a bit too curious for my liking.

Most of the people I'd met mistook my distant way of being around them as rude, but I let them believe what they wanted to, deciding to focus on maintaining my grades and steering clear of too much attention; careful not to give anyone the temptation to do some research.

However, despite some things, the actual college experience was surprisingly even better than the image I'd spent years building up inside my mind, the thought of that being my new life almost seeming too good to be true.

At that realization, my mind inevitably wondered to my first night on campus as I stared at Lindsay, to the night that triggered the fear of it all crashing down, when she'd arrived in the middle of the night evidently flustered and reeking of Jace and Ryder's cologne.

The possibility of her lying about being with her boyfriend lingered inside my mind like an unwanted pest, creating nerve wracking thoughts,seeing as if my theory was correct and she was lying, there would be a huge possibility that Jace and Ryder dropped by that night -- which would have only meant that they were watching me to make sure that none of my father's enemy's found out where I moved without the intentions of me finding out.

But I quickly attempted to erase the un-wanted thoughts from my mind, not wanting to allow my past to interfere with my life any longer.

My eyes drifted toward the figure that leaned against one of the cafe's walls, his own eyes trained on my roommate. "Is that your boyfriend?" I nodded over to the guy, taking in his dark skin and wealthy appearance.

Her eyes widened a fraction upon taking in the guys' presence, the action alone sparking curiosity in me. "What? No." The slight tinge to her pale cheeks as she ducked her head down led me to believe otherwise, but I could tell there was more to the story. "Can we go eat somewhere else? The food here isn't so good, anyway."

"Sure," I replied, deciding not to bother her about it, considering the fact that if I were in her position, I possibly wouldn't want to tell me about it either.

I then mirrored Lindsay's actions, collecting my books and coffee cup from the table before following behind her, only to crash against someone's chest before I could even make it to the exit, my books --along with the coffee in my hands-- tumbling onto the ground. Anger built up inside my chest, and I threw my hands up in exasperation, cursing as I angrily collected my books from the ground before lifting my gaze to meet the intense blue eyes of the tall guy that stood ahead of me.

"Watch where you're fucking going," I growled, unable to control the venom that seeped into my tone, not even bothering to clean the puddle of coffee that spilled from the cup sprawled across the wooden floor of the small cafe.

The guy ran a hand through his black hair, eyebrows raised in surprise at my murderous tone. "No apologies?"

Giving him a once over, I hugged my heavy books to my chest, pressing my lips into a tight line and holding my head high, his tall frame that towered over my average height not intimidating me at the slightest: I'd seen worst. "I don't have to apologize for you being stupid, that's your job." I knew I should have refrained from speaking to anyone on campus that way, that I couldn't continue acting the same way I always had around the mafia, but some things couldn't be changed that easily.

"Okay," He muttered, though he didn't look at all aggravated by the way I'd just spoken to him -- which surprised me, considering that if it'd been someone like Ryder, he would have been shouting at me within seconds. "Can you meet me here tomorrow around this time, then? That way I can apologize,and buy you a coffee, since I spilled that one."

The dazzling smile that played on his lips almost had me saying yes, but I quickly shook it off, firmly shaking my head at him. "In your dreams." With that said, I shoved past him, catching up with Lindsay, who patiently awaited by the exit, a questioning look etched to her flawless features.

And as we walked along the busy streets of New Jersey, in direction of the pizza place just a block more to go, I shoved away the uneasy feeling that settled deep into my stomach at the sudden sensation of being watched, attempting to convince myself that I was only being paranoid, that living in fear was already behind me, and in the new life I was now living, everything would be different.

* * *

I absentmindedly poked my pizza slice with a fork, not knowing what to say seeing as I hadn't even been able to concentrate on what Lindsay, Jordan and Zeke were talking about, my mind flooding with unwanted thoughts.

That was, until Jordan brought up the night I'd spent the last few days pondering about.

"So, Linds, we haven't had the chance to talk about that night you stayed in the parking lot with those guys," He said, tossing his sister a challenging look. "You didn't talk to them, did you?"

She visibly tensed at the subject, slowly lowering her slice of pizza back onto the plate, seeming to be carefully considering what to say. "I -- No." Her voice was firm, but the way she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear led me to believe there was no truth to her answer, my eyebrows furrowing at the subject at hand.

It only confirmed my initial suspicions on the fact that she hadn't been with her boyfriend, unease making its way back to my body, the way it swirled inside my stomach almost making me nauseous. "What guys?"

"I dunno." Jordan shrugged, his gaze drifting from his sister to me. "What I do know is that they looked like criminals. I don't think they go here."

That only sparked my attention even more, my posture much straighter now, eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Can you describe how they looked?"

"It doesn't matter." It was Lindsay who spoke, not allowing for her brother to answer me, though by the strange look he sent me, I doubted he was going to answer my question that easily. "Can you guys just drop it?"

But I stayed silent, determined to find out who my roommate had come across that night sooner or later, because if I didn't, I wasn't going to be able to stop the raging thoughts from invading my mind, the constant fear of my past catching up with me not allowing for me to fully enjoy my new life --and the last thing I wanted was to continue living like that.

***AN***

AMAZING!!

~Natasha & ChasingMadness24