Chapter 10

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asks. "She took it her freshman year." Stiles answers. "Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia questions. "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott states.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." Malia states. "Well." Stiles corrects. "Well what?" Malia asks. "It's do well, not good." Stiles explains. "Oh God!" Malia groans. "You'll be fine." I assure. "You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott says.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira states. "You say that now until you get your head cut off in the middle of question 26." I reply. "Way to be optimistic babe." Stiles says. "Would you expect anything else from me?" I ask walking into the room.

We all have to give fingerprints and turn in our phones. "Goodbye old friend." I say to my phone. I drop it in the envelope and head to my seat. "Are you ready?" Stiles asks. "All that I'm sure about when it comes to taking this test is that I won't run out of pencils. Did you really need that many?" I question.

"Yes." Stiles replies opening his test. "Please do not open your test booklet until you're instructed to do so." The proctor announces. Stiles closes his booklet back up. "This test is two hours. There will be two 25 minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." The proctor states.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." Ms. Martin says. She's gone for all of four minutes and comes back alone. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?" Ms. Martin asks.

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break. You may now open your test booklets and begin." The proctor states. We open our tests up and it's like I'm reading another language. I can cipher through most, but for some I just guess.

I hear a pencil drop on a desk causing me to look at Stiles. Last time I saw him, the pencil was still in his mouth. He must have gotten to a particularly hard question. A small thud comes from the ground. "Sydney! Are you alright?" Ms. Martin asks.

"I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy." Sydney answers. "Sydney, how long have you had this?" Ms. Martin questions. I look over and see a rash on her wrist. "Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" The proctor asks. "No, um it's fine. Everybody stay in your seats. Nobody leaves the room." Ms. Martin instructs.

Stiles and I eye each other suspiciously and then go back to our tests. "Get back! No! Do not come in here! Get back outside!" Ms. Martin yells. All of us go out into the hall to check everything out. "Back to your seats. Now." Ms. Martin says.

We return to our seas, but I listen in on her conversation. "I need the number of the CDC. Yes, the Center for Disease Control." Ms. Martin says. Scott and I both look at each other with wide eyes. Soon many people in bio hazard suits come in and set up.

Scott goes to check up on Sydney, while Malia, Kira, Stiles and I sit on the desks. "Bet they're thinking Smallpox." Stiles states. "Stiles, Smallpox died out when disco did." I reply. "She's right. Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was Rinderpest. It killed cows." The proctor elaborates.

"So we should be comforted by that right?" Stiles questions. "Unless it's something worse." He replies. "Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously. They're a lot of cars and trucks out there. Your dad's with them." Malia states.

"Hey, I should probably call him." Stiles says getting his phone. "Don't bother. They would have shut off any acess to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no wifi. No one starting panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens." The proctor interrupts.