Chapter 4

(Third person.)

An incessant beeping woke Rose from her slumber. She sat up, aggressively silencing the alarm, and held her face in her hands. She had a while before the next shoot, but there was somewhere she needed to be beforehand, as there was every Saturday morning. Changing after a quick shower, Rose headed down the narrow stairway and into the kitchen. She was used to the eerie silence in the house; used to the loneliness and the emptiness.

She fixed herself some toast but, realizing the time, began to eat it on her way out to the car. Her car was nice, a glossy black Chevy Impala 67, but it was old and banged up. She finished her toast as she clambered into the seat, started the engine and drove.

Half an hour later she pulled up in a small parking lot with very few cars already parked. When she stepped out, she pulled her cardigan tighter around herself, trying to keep warm, and looked across at the building before her. It was dull and crumbling and seemingly uninteresting, and if not for the light seeping out of the windows and the cars outside, you might think it was an abandoned, run-down building.

Rose let out a huff of silvery breath, locked the car, and walked towards the building, hugging herself. She arrived at the entrance and pressed the buzzer beside the door, waiting a few seconds before she heard a click. She pushed the door open and was immediately greeted by a rush of warm air. She walked down the hallway towards a large desk, behind which sat a woman in her mid fifties.

"Rose, lovely to see you again." Rose smiled at the woman.

"Likewise... Have there been any changes?" Rose saw a look of pity cross the woman's face for a brief moment, but it was gone almost as soon as it came.

"I'm afraid not. But your visits help." Rose nodded and scribbled her name in the book on the desk before her, as the woman handed her a visitor's pass. "Through to the music room." Rose knew her way to the music room better than the back of her hand, and it wasn't just because the sound of the piano playing an all too familiar song drew her there.

She gently pushed the door open.

As ever, there was her mother, sat in front of the grand piano, her fingers moving delicately over the keys, barely even seeming to touch them. Her mother looked frail, her eyes were focused but not exactly clear. She slowly approached her, not wanting to interrupt her playing. She loved to hear her mother play, it was so calming, and made her feel ten times better amidst all the stress in her life.

When the song had ended, Rose tentatively approached her mother.

"Mum?" The woman didn't seem to hear at first. Rose stepped closer and placed a hand on the woman's shoulders. She started and turned, smiling sweetly at Rose. For a minute, Rose thought she might recognize her.

"Hello nurse. Is it time for my medicine?" Rose's spirits fell, but she smiled anyway, blinking back tears. "Do you know if my husband has arrived yet? He's due any minute. We're celebrating our 8th anniversary today." A tear rolled down Rose's cheek. She had needed to explain to her mother so many times recently that her husband wouldn't be coming. Rather that than explaining to her that he was dead. Not that she'd understand anyway.

"He'll be here any minute." Rose promised, at which her mother smiled and clapped her hands together.

"How do I look? Do I look pretty?" Rose took a shaky breath.

"You look beautiful."

"You know, you look remarkably like my 5 year old daughter, Rose. Her sixth birthday is in a month." Rose ran a hand through her blonde waves and sighed. "What's the matter dear?" The blonde looked into her mothers grey eyes.