II. One Everardly Afternoon

Start from the beginning

"The two of you need to find a husband on your second or third season," Lady Alice's voice was saying, drawing Agatha's attention back inside the large Everard parlor.

"She needs to find a husband first," Ysabella pointedly said, waving her hand at their eldest sister, Margaret, who was sitting with a book in hand. Margaret, like Agatha, was past the marrying age at seven and twenty.

The lady's beauty was far better than anyone Agatha had ever seen—black hair and emerald eyes consistent with all Everard children, delicate nose, well-shaped brows and radiant skin not so often seen around The Town—that she often had to wonder whether Margaret did not just wish to marry at all. The lady could have had anyone she wished to marry. Surely, there was someone who would want to be part of the Everards?

"I don't think I am—" Margaret started to say but Emma interjected with, "We need not marry, really," rolling her eyes. "We do have the brothers to sire as many heirs for the titles."

"Well, at least not yet," Ysabella voiced, standing to her feet. "Which is why there is still need for Agatha."

"She can be my lady companion," Margaret suggested, her eyes twinkling at the idea. "Agatha, would you like to be my companion?"

"But she will be our companion if she opts to be a companion!" Emma cried out.

"Emma, your voice," Agatha said, breaking her silence. "And I do agree that my service as a governess is no longer required for the both of you," she addressed the twins.

"But, Agatha!" they both whined.

"You are both seventeen and are to come out this season, ladies," Agatha told them in a very calm voice. "I do not think there is a place for me here any longer."

"But you can be my companion as I have said," Margaret said. "I will need a companion."

Lady Alice sighed loudly. "I believe we have gone completely off topic. I believe we were talking about the eligible bachelors in Wickhurst before these two decided to veer the conversation yet again." She narrowed her eyes at the twins. "And you will need a husband."

"You mean only one husband? And we shall share him? Mother, I cannot believe you would think of such a thing! Surely there are enough gentlemen around The Town!" Ysabella cried out in mock horror.

"That is not what I meant!" Lady Alice's shrilling voice made everyone wince. She fanned herself with her hand. "You children are killing me."

"I believe murder is the least of our—"

"Emma," Agatha warned, shaking her head. The girl closed her mouth and huffed. "I may opt to find a different employer when the season starts."

"Agatha!" everyone except Lady Alice cried.

"What is the matter?" a voice asked from the doorway. All black heads turned, including Agatha's auburn one. "What?" The eldest of all the eight Everard children, Benedict, scanned the room with his piercing green eyes, an eyebrow cocked high in question. His eyes hovered over Agatha for but a mere second, acknowledging and dismissing her presence all the same, before he veered his eyes back to his mother and sisters.

"We were talking about why you are still unmarried," Margaret lied. "Because you ought to be married, you know."

"But I am to be married," Benedict uttered, his voice serious, his rectangular jaw hard as it always seemed to be and the white scars on his face almost translucent under the light of the parlor. His thick brows were slightly raised as though he was expecting his family to laugh at his statement but none did that for everyone might still be on the process of considering whether he was trying to jest or not.