Chapter 1: All Night Long - Edited

Start from the beginning

Just as I thought, my mom was at the table reading the paper and dad was nowhere in sight; figures, just an ordinary morning. He was probably in his study already on his first bottle of beer for the day claiming to be working on his second book. His first book was a huge success and already got multiple awards. They asked him to do a sequel and he gladly accepted. He didn't even care how much of a strain it had already put on his marriage. The more he wrote, the more he drank and we never saw him. I walked past the kitchen but of course, like always, mom stopped me. She’s been in complete denial about dad and completely oblivious to me too.

"Aren't you going to eat?" she asked.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed one of the apples sitting in a bowl on the table.

"Happy now?" I asked before walking out the front door.

I know she was still standing there, like she always did hoping I will come back in and apologize. She really had to give that up, she knew by now that was not going to happen. I don’t apologize for the way I act just like dad doesn’t apologize for the way he drinks. I opened the back door to my car, which ironically David bought me for my 16th birthday. I threw my bag in the back and opened my trunk to reveal all the food I was hiding from my parents. I knew exactly what anorexia is and I was highly aware that I had it, but how was I supposed to stop? It was the same vicious cycle I went through at night. I knew it was bad and I felt guilty, but every time I tried to eat I felt even worse about myself. I was a disappointment and I always will be. I can’t be the fat one in the family while everyone else is skinny and pretty. This is my way of trying to fix myself. I honestly don’t know why people seem to like food so much because to me it was just a curse to make me fatter.

I threw the apple in the trunk before closing it and getting in the driver's seat and leaving for school. I pulled into school and, like usual, parked the farthest away because I was late again. Figures, I'm late every day, but I could use the exercise anyway; more calories to burn so the skinnier I’ll be. My classmates will be happy to hear that. I walked in and every student was already in class. I threw my bag in the locker and grabbed my book. I slammed the locker closed  and walked to my first class...and the worst: history. No wonder I skip this class most of the time. I knocked on the door, having to wait for someone to let me in and everyone was staring at me. Great, they are probably talking about another rumor some dumb slut made up about me. Figures....

"Nice of you to join us Ms. Dane," My teacher, Mr. Morris said.

"Yeah yeah yeah," I mumbled taking my seat in the back. The classmates were mumbling like usual and I found a note on my desk. Good to know they decided not to stop these over the weekend. I set my book on the desk and opened the note:

How was your weekend? Too busy "throwing up" from all the partying? Were you busy "Eating" all the food in your house and "cutting" up the food? :)

Geez, they couldn't be original could they? I was pretty sure they gave me a similar note last week in English class. It’s the worst written sentence I’ve ever seen in my life. No wonder I cut myself. I head to deal with dicks like these on a daily busy. I looked up and saw the leader laughing at me. I threw the paper at him, hitting him square at the forehead.

"You just can't get original can you?" I asked.

"Kayla," I heard the teacher yell, "to the principal's office...Now!"

"My pleasure," I said, picking up my book and leaving the class. It was better than staying in that class anyway. I walked down to the office where the principal was already expecting me. This has become a daily thing for me too. She wasn’t surprised to see me.

"Again?" she (Mrs. Kate) said, "How many times has this been?"

"Mrs. Kate, it's only Monday. This is a first," I said, sitting down in the chair.

"You know what I mean, your brother," she began.

"No," I said, "You don't get to mention him. I've heard all I need to hear. I hear it every day actually. 'You can do better. Look where your brother is, you have that potential' I don't want to hear it anymore."

"Fine," she said, "Go back to class."

"But they just kicked me out," I said. Man how stupid could this lady get? I just got here.

"I know but I think there's something you need to hear," she said and pointed towards the door.

"Fine," I mumbled and headed back to History. When I got there the teacher gave me a look but pointed at me to get back in my seat. I didn't even bother bringing my book this time. It’s not like I planned on using it anyway. Nobody wants me here so why should I try?

"Okay, so we've been talking about why we need history. That in order to not let history repeat itself, we need to know what happened before. This week we have a celebrity guest coming to this class to talk. In the meantime I want you all to write a paper about something that has made an impact in your life. This celebrity guest will be telling us her story and why she wants people to know about 'her history' so she can help others dealing with similar things," he said, "Take as much time as you want on it. She will be here on Friday."

"Who is it?" I heard someone ask. I didn't even bother looking up. I don't know why Mrs. Kate wanted me to know this crap anyway.

"Demi Lovato," he replied.

Demi Lovato? The one I was seeing all over the news about her new song "Skyscraper".  That was the BIG guest he wanted us to prepare for? I have never even heard her music. It’s probably the cheesy pop music I try to stay away from. The bell rang and I was the first one out the door. I turned on my phone, scrolling through my apps and clicking on my music app. I typed in Demi Lovato and found that a new album just came out. It was called "Unbroken." I clicked download before putting my phone back in my pocket. I didn't know why I was so interested, but if she was coming to school on Friday I might as well at least know who she is. I can’t be the stupidest one in the room again. That gets really old.

THE END CHAPTER 1!!

feedback??

please vote and comment (if you haven't already)! Remember this is the edited chapter! :)