XIV: The Next Hyuga

Start from the beginning

The questions held her, one at a time, like the pumping of her blood. How? Why? More importantly, now??

"Well, TenTen? You want to be a legendary Kunoichi, don't you? Marry my nephew and you're one step closer in pursuing your dream—being one of the most honorable clans of Konohagakure... Your father would have been so proud."

"Hiashi-san..." Neji started, his hands balled in fists.

TenTen parted her lips to mutter a word, when the door clicked as she blinked in surprise.

"G-gomenasai..." Said Hinata hiding over the door. "I-I didn't m-mean to interrupt—"

Hiashi faced another problem of his life. First was the proposal of his nephew and now the complications involving the personal life of her daughter, something Neji should have taken as his priority. How could he possibly ensure her sanctuary with the fox boy? "Neji, take TenTen home. I've got to teach my daughter a lesson."

Hinata gulped as Neji and TenTen made their way to the door, leaving her untouched dessert. It wasn't just her fault for going home late but the voice of someone he'd probbably wish to be the last person he ever wanted.

"What did I do?" Naruto asked innocently, as Neji bumped into his shoulder while TenTen avoided his gaze.

"Get in here, young lady."

"G-good-bye, Naruto."

If it weren't for the audience, Hiashi would have sent the obnoxious boy away with his gentle fist. "Hey, when do I get a goodnight kiss?"

Hinata looked back at his father who closed his eyes, and, took the opportunity to give the blonde jinchuuriki a quick peck in the cheek. Naruto blushed faintly. "I'll see you tomorrow then,"

"Goodbye," Hinata whispered, and the door was slammed shut.

Inside, she tried not to look at Hiashi in the eye but risk was too much. Even when stood up and perceive the world in an inconsistent aurora, just gazing at her own blood and father made her want to lose all that determination. "G-goodnight father.." She tried to run past him, but Hiashi caught her in the arm, his nails digging into her skin. "Who was that boy, Hinata?"

"F-father! You're hurting me!"

He finds his release, after being momentarily remorse with himself. "My apologies.. It won't happen again.. I assure you we can fix that," but something made Hinata flinch back, perhaps her inner instincts, like he was a witch hiding in a beggar's cape. "Here, let me help you." Hinata fought to urge to fall for this temptation again, but he was Hiashi. The superior of the family, he who controls everyone in the Main tribe, and she thought how impolite would it be of declining for his father's little charity offer.

The bruise has inferiorly invaded his unblemished skin, and it took her by surprise because her mother would be the last person who would want to acknowledge her. Reluctantly she got close; and that's when the unthinkable happened—

Hiashi slapped her in the cheek. "Dono yō ni orokana anata no!" *How Stupid of You*

It all happened in a steady progression. Not that this was the first time he'd done it, but the way he treated her was like a servant who would never appease to him as part of the family. The poor girl couldn't have done anything but to place a shivering palm into her cheek, the spot where her father had hit her. She stared at him in disbelief, in utter confusion, to see the resemblance for herself. "You're too soft. Such a disgrace. The Hyuga clan doesn't have a place for such heiress."