| 2 |

"What happened that night?"

I looked up at Camila with a raised eyebrow. We were sitting in her room at her house. Her dad was at work and her mom was downstairs with Sofia.

"What night?" I asked, needing her to be more specific. A lot of things happen at night.

"The night you and Lauren slept together."

Oh, that night.

"Well.."

Camila had somehow convinced me to come
to this party. It's not that I didn't want to go,
I just had to study a lot. My A in science class was slowly dropping, and I wanted to keep all straight A's.

I went to go turn to Camila, but she was out of my sight. I sighed, knowing this would happen. I walked into the kitchen, searching for some water. I didn't want to get drunk and pass out, no, I just wanted to enjoy myself. It's the least I can do.

"Hey Y/N/N!" I looked up to see a tipsy Lauren. Lauren Jaregui, daughter of the Principal and sheriff.

"Lauren," I said, surprised. "How'd you get here? With your parents and all?"

Lauren shrugged, the corners of her lips turning upward, "I don't know. Water? No, you need a drink."

"I-"

"Here, take mine." she snatched the water from my hand, shoving the red solo cup into my hand. "Now drink!"

I slowly brought the cup to my nose, the rim of it touching my lips. It was Jack Daniels and Coke. I shrugged, swallowing it, then wincing as it burned in the back of my throat.

"Thatta' girl!" Lauren exclaimed, grinning. "Now come on, I need a drink too!" she interlaced our fingers.

"And yeah. It went on from there. I honestly don't remember much." I told Camila.

"So this is my fault?" Camila remarked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"What? No -"

"Cool! I got you laid!" Camila grinned at me, and I sighed, shaking my head.

I glanced at the time, "I gotta get going home. Mom wants me to meet someone."

---

I entered the house, hearing soft chatter from
the kitchen. I took my jacket off, hanging it up on the rack.

I walked further into the house, entering the kitchen. I saw four plates set out, the three chairs filled with people. My mom and two unfamiliar people.

"Mom?"

My mom looked up, smiling nervously at me, "Y/N/N, this is Derrick and his daughter Normani. She's your age." I looked at the father and daughter, then nodding and sitting down. I see where this is going. My mom is talking to someone, dating again.

"Hi, I'm Y/N." I politely introduced myself, nodding at the both of them.

Derrick smiled at me, "Nice to meet you. I've heard great things about you." I raised an eyebrow, looking at my mom.

"Oh, really now?" I said in a questioning tone. "I've heard nothing about you."

"Y/N." Mom narrowed her eyes at me. I sighed, looking down at the plate to see chicken, rice, and salad in another bowl.

"I know you," Normani spoke after studying me. "You're the girl that slept with -"

I coughed, interrupting her, "Uhm, slept over at Camila's house? Yeah. That's me." I stared at her, silently begging for her not to say anything. Normani luckily seemed to get the message.

"Yeah! At her birthday party." Normani lied, and I nodded, sending her a thankful smile.

---

Normani and I were cleaning up the kitchen, while her dad and my mom were outside, talking.

"She doesn't know, does she?" Normani spoke up, breaking the silence between us.

"Yeah," I nodded, spraying the table. "And I'd like to keep it that way. I don't want to add anymore trouble onto her plate." I began to wipe the table off with a rag.

"You know, Lauren is my best friend," Normani said. "I was the first person she told about the whole thing. But she never told me how her parents found out."

I sighed, "Long story short, I woke up and she was gone. Thinking I was in my house, I walked downstairs in nothing but my underwear and shirt. Her father was sitting down at the table, drinking coffee."

"Where was Lauren?"

"In the bathroom, apparently," I said. "So yeah."

"Well, I think she actually likes you, as in more then a one night stand." Normani told me, just as her father called her name. "See you later, Y/N."

"Yeah, maybe." I mumbled, seeing her walk out. I leaned against the counter, my arms crossed with my eyebrows furrowed.

Lauren likes me? But she was drunk when she came onto me. Maybe she needed a little boost or something - or Normani is wrong.

I heard my mother sigh as she came into view.

"Derrick, huh?" I questioned.

"Yeah - I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just, I didn't know how to bring it up." Mom apologized.

"No - it's fine. I was just surprised, with the late notice and everything. Normani is nice, I've seen her at school." I said.

"Oh, that's good, honey," mom murmured. "I'm tired. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah." I gave her a hug.

---

Camila set next to me on my bed. We were both scrolling through our phones when they went off at the same time. We shared a glance, opening the message.

Kacy B: Party tonight! All graduating Junior's soon to be Senior's are invited! @ 2321 Memory Lane, 9 o'clock!

I locked my phone, as did Camila.

"Are we going?" I asked, and she grinned.

"Yeah."

---

After successfully sneaking out of my house and getting to the party, we walked in. We weren't the first ones there, but we sure weren't the last ones.

"Camila -" she cut me off by running off into the crowd. "- Don't leave me this time." I sighed, putting my hands in my pockets.

I pushed through the crowd, going into the kitchen. I made myself a drink, leaning against the counter.

Let the party begin.

--/

not edited

-Gracie