So Janel ended up saving the conversation right then. She asked everyone at the table, "Who wants to dance with me?"

Everyone lit up again. Nice one Janel!

We all had had two rounds of drinks by then, so we were ready for action.

Aggie got up and drug Janel to the dance floor. Before she got dragged away, she looked at me and winked. I mouthed "thank you" to her and she was off.

Michelle and Brian got up too.

Mark, Andrew and I decided to be boring and keep drinking.

I pulled my seat around so I could watch everyone on the dance floor, and I ordered another round for us three. My friend Stephen, who hosted the party came over, and sat with us for a while too, catching up.

Aggie was all over Janel. I wasn't sure if Janel knew it or just thought she was being a friendly, bouncy girl friend.

But I could tell.

I saw Aggie pull something small out of her pocket and show it to Janel as they danced.

Janel looked back at me. I watched carefully what was going on, and as much as I wanted to rush over and see what was up, I didn't go. I knew Janel could take care of herself.

Janel took the small object in her hand and gave Aggie the "hold on" signal.

She walked straight back to our table.

I pretended I hadn't been paying attention.

Janel got to the table and sat next to me. "Nice try, Harry", she said with a smirk.

"What??" I asked, suprised.

"Acting like you weren't watching me like a hawk just then. I don't mind, Harry. I like being protected by you. And you didn't come over to us....because you trust my judgement. I like the faith you have in me, too", she smiled and leaned in for a quick kiss.

"Dammit Janel. I'll never put anything past you! What's up babe? What is that you've got? It's killing me." I told her.

Aggie said it's ecstasy. She said I could have it if I wanted. I told her I'd see what you said first, cause you know about this stuff. She probably took hers already", she said as she looked out at Aggie dancing next to Michelle and Brian.

I looked the pill over. Yep. It was E.

"I don't know what to tell you Janel. I mean...it can be a bad time sometimes...or it can be good. If you think you wanna do it, I won't stop you...but I took it once. I won't ever try it again. It was fun...but my heart was beating really hard and I kinda felt nauseous and after it wore off I felt like shit for a day or two.....I'd be happy if you didn't take it, but I won't be mad if you do." I told her.

"What if I took half?" Janel asked. I could tell she wanted to live a little and try it.

"Try half. That's a good idea." I told her.

"Will you watch me? Take care of me?" She asked.

"Don't I ALWAYS, babe?" I responded.

"Yep! You do. Just making sure." She said.

She handed it to me to break in half and she downed it with a sip of my drink.

"I'm nervous!" she stated.

"You'll be fine, love" I reassured her.

She gave me one more kiss and went back to Aggie.

I put the other half of the pill and stuffed it into a napkin and crunched it up for trash.