One.

"Yes, mom," I say for the millionth time. "Now stop asking questions. I have everything."

I roll my eyes at my mother's annoying pestering. She keeps asking me if I have things such as my toothbrush, clothes, and shampoo. It's kind of pointless seeing as I basically packed my entire room into three luggage bags.

Although its quite annoying, I understand her constant questions. She's nervous for me.

Today we are heading off on a two hour drive to Los Angeles, where I will be attending California State University. I will be majoring in Pre-med. I want to become a doctor.

"Okay, okay," she says, putting her hands up in surrender.

I laugh, grabbing two of my suitcases, letting my mother take the other, smaller one. We walk outside to her red Prius, placing the bags into the back of the vehicle.

The sun nearly blinds me as soon as I get outside, and I smile a little at it. I've always loved summer more than any other season, and the heat of the sun on my skin always makes me happy.

After we've gotten everything into the car, we both get in, my mother driving, and soon we head off to CSU.

The drive doesn't feel very long, for the whole time my mother and I are making light conversation and singing along to the radio.

As we pull into the parking lot next to my dorm building, nervousness bubbles in my chest. I start to grin, just thinking of the possibilities of college.

I think about making new friends, the kind that I can go to for absolutely anything. The kind I can have slumber parties with while we chatter about how cute a boy in class is. I never experienced anything like that in highschool.
I think about falling in love too.
Also something I've never experienced.

The dorm building is made of tan brick, about seven stories tall. A few windows have bright and colorful curtains blocking the view of the inside, some have standard black ones. I guess that's what is expected of a co-ed dorm.

My mom wasn't too happy when she found out that ill be living in a co-ed dorm for my first semester of college, but it was the only room available close to my classes.

"Okay, you ready?" My mother asks, placing her hand over mine, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

She smiles as we both get out of the car, walking to the back and grabbing my three bags out of the trunk. Then we both walk to the dorm, a large smile on my face while a nervous smile covers my mom's.

When we get to my dorm room, I pull the key I recieved a week ago, shoving it in the key hole, turning it. The door unlocks, and I push it open, not even thinking to knock before entering.

I was told that I would have a roommate, but I was also told she hasn't moved in yet, but that was last week.

When I walk in, I stop dead in my tracks, a couple making out on one of the beds.

I cough, looking away.

"Oh jeez, sorry," the girl says, pushing the boy she was previously playing tonsil hockey with off of her, standing up off of the bed, smoothing out her small shorts and loose fitting t-shirt.

"My bad, I should have knocked," I keep my voice low as my mother walks into the room. I'm more than happy she didn't witness what I just did. She would have had a cow.

"Well I'm Lydia! I'm assuming you're my roommate?" The girl says.

I nod slowly, taking in her looks.
She's gorgeous, absolutely stunning. She has short black hair and light blue eyes. She's only about five foot three, so I'm a bit taller than her, but she's curvy, in a good way. I'm quite jealous of her looks actually.

"Yeah! I'm Tatum," I greet her, smiling at her and even giving the boy in our room a smile.

"Awesome! So I hope you don't mind that I chose this side, I got here yesterday." She giggles and waves her arm at her bed behind her, a pink comforter with white outlines of flowers on it on her bed.

"No I don't mind!" I say, watching my mother set my bag down next to the empty, colorless bed.

Lydia's side of the room is covered in all pink decorations, and for her only being here since yesterday, it's pretty decorated already.

There is a picture frame with a collage of pictures of her and friends making silly faces. There's also a picture of her and the boy on her bed, he kissing her cheek.

The dresser on her side of the room has a pink fuzzy lamp on it, and a pink photo frame with her and the boy.

"Do you need help getting settled in?" My mom asks, glancing at the boy on Lydia's bed every other second.

"No I think I'm good," I tell her, kind of embarrassed that she's in here. I'm usually never embarrassed of my mother, but I can't help it. I'm new at this college and I don't want my roommate to think I'm a loser.

"Alright, so you'll be okay?" My mom asks.

"Yes, mom, I'm okay. Thank you for driving me," I give her a reassuring smile, letting her know that I can handle it. I tell her with my eyes that she should leave, and she gets the hint.

"Okay, well call me if you need anything," she says, pulling me into a hug. She squeezes me before pulling away, kissing my cheek. I return the gesture, smiling.

"I love you, mom," I tell her, continuing to smile.

"I love you too, Tate," she says, using the annoying nickname she always calls me.

With a final smile, she leaves, tears present in her eyes.

After she shuts the door I realize something.

I am an adult. I no longer depend on my mom. My life is now as I make it, and I am my own person.

As amazing as this feeling is, I can't help but feel sad. I've grown up and I'm becoming a new person. I hope I don't mess it up.