thirty | america

°•

"Andrea," Crissle knocked on her office door, leaning against the frame.

The other woman looked up, a bright smile on her face when she saw her best friend. "Hey, shawty. You look happy."

Crissle giggled, walking in and sitting on her small desk. "I am."

"For what?"

"My boyfriend," Crissle's smile got wider, "my boyfriend said he loves me."

Andrea's eyes widened. "He said what? How? When? Crissle--"

"Last night," she said, "and...oh my gosh, Andy. I love him so much."

"Did you tell him that?"

"Of course."

"This is so exciting," she squealed, standing up and walking in front of her, "I'm so happy you're happy, babe."

"Thank you," Crissle felt the need to hug her best friend, so she did. Her arms wrapped around her neck and Andrea's around her waist. She was so glad she could share this news with someone she cared about, someone she trusted.

"This is so fucking hot."

"Shut up, Zayn," Crissle muttered softly, pulling away from Andrea and looking at him.

Zayn cleared his throat and straightened his tie. "How are you ladies?"

"Gravy," Andrea said, "although I just heard you spilled the L word to my girl over here."

"I did," he admitted sheepishly, looking at Crissle as he spoke, "I do."

Andrea looked between the couple, a large smile on her face as she squealed at them. "Adorable!"

"Anyway," Crissle tried changing the subject but couldn't think of anything, "um..."

"Oh yeah," Zayn snapped his fingers, "we have a meeting at two. Last minute."

Crissle whined, looking at the digital clock on the wall. "Thirty minutes, great."

"You'll be ready?" he backed up, basically wanting her to come with him.

"I think so. I'll be back, Drea," she followed Zayn, her business pro attitude activated. "What is it about?"

"Business expansion," and no, Zayn did not play when it came to that topic, it was always serious, "they suggested we have a building in Miami and I'm thinking about it."

"More business?"

"And more job opportunities," he clarified, opening his office door, "it all boils down to what people are qualified for. From CEO to accountant to assistant," he looked at her briefly, "all the way to janitor and security guard. It all matters."

"So, what do I do?" she put her hands on her hips and watched him scroll through his emails.

"Numbers, ideas, notes. anything you catch, write it down. Anything important--"

"Write it down. Got it."

"Assistant stuff, ya know?"

Crissle nodded, walking to her desk and getting started on her work. She looked through files in her drawers for contracts on new buildings and any files of who might be there. Zayn loved laying people out when they're wrong and his passion was firing people that try to step up to him.

He was so talented.

°•

"And as you can see, we've predicted how sales will go if we put a place in Miami," one of the representatives of the idea stated. He was friends with Zayn and his confidence was captivating, but everyone knew who had the pants in this situation.

Zayn rubbed his beard, staring at the illuminated projection screen ahead, the one with the red arrow going across the graph. The numbers were in the millions and billions and the lowest was nine hundred and twenty two thousand dollars.

"I see," that was a sign Crissle caught early on in her career to show Zayn wasn't really paying attention. She subtly rolled her eyes while looking down at her paper full of notes. "Well...I'm more concerned about the job opportunities and the qualifications."

"Yes, sir. So," Azim Tollman -- the representative of Zayn's Chicago company -- cleared his throat, "we've seen how the new Chicago building has affected the area around it. Other businesses are booming and more people are requesting jobs. A store is also in high demand and if there is a clothing store, more people will get a job. From CEO to sales clerk, all the way to cashier or marketer, " he gestured to the board, "same with Miami. And Miami, ya know. It's lit down there and people want jobs."

Zayn snorted while Crissle just full on laughed out loud. A few chuckles escaped other worker's lips and Zayn straightened up, a large smile on his face.

"I like this," he said, finally standing up, "I mean, I already knew, but this just tells me I put the Chicago company in good hands."

"Thank you, sir," Azim nodded, "I greatly appreciate it."

"Now," Zayn pat his back and told him to sit, "I hope you people were paying attention, because it's happening. I need my marketing staff in full effect and my accountants also. Get the word out so people can start applying for the store in Chicago and a new building in Miami."

"And the store in Miami?" another employee spoke up.

"Not yet, I wanna see how this goes," Zayn said, "Bring me contractors and contact realtors down there to find the best spot for this new building. And, uh, we'll meet back in a week or so, everybody be on your A game."

Zayn dismissed them all and everyone got up, putting papers away and shuffling to the door. Crissle stood and threw away bottles in the recycling bin while Zayn spoke with Azim from Chicago.

"I'm very proud of you, man," he said, "I knew I did good with putting you in charge."

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate the chance you gave me to do this again."

"After those guys fired my best men in Chicago? I had to bring you back. It's no big deal--"

"It is, Zayn," Azim interrupted suddenly, "you wanna know how hard it was to get back into a job? I am a black man in America, corporate America. It's a dog eat dog world out here and it took me forever to find another job. I ended up at a bookstore, living in a shabby apartment and trying to make ends meet. Ask your assistant how hard it is."

Crissle looked up and noticed the two men looking at her. "Me?"

"Yes," Azim pushed his glasses up, "how hard is it for a young black woman to get a job in white America? How... discouraging is it to see unqualified white women get the job you wanted by so much as a look the boss's way?"

"It's...very discouraging," she sighed, "especially since I needed experience and in order to get the job I had to already have experience with another place," she huffed, looking at Zayn, "I don't think you understand how much of a help you are."

Zayn bowed his head in embarrassment. "I...I didn't know it meant so much. Well, I knew, but no one has ever told me. I'm glad I'm making some sort of an improvement."

"That you are," Mr. Tollman nodded, "have a nice day, Mr. Malik. I hope to see you soon," he nodded at Crissle and exited the large conference room.

"So," Zayn leaned against the table while Crissle adjusted the papers in her hand, "I...never mind."

"You're good Zayn," she knew what he was getting at, "you should know how hard it is to make it to the top. Any minority already gets a disadvantage at a job opportunity just by the color of their skin. I know you've been denied so many times it hurts, I can tell. Just...for black people...it's almost impossible."

Zayn nodded. "I'm glad I can at least help."

"And I appreciate it," she kissed his forehead, "stop dwelling on it because you're doing great, babe."

"Thank you."

°•

zayn's so helpful

I try to make my shit educated but I dunno...

so one more chapter then an epilogue

okay bye