Our Everlasting Melody (23)

Start from the beginning

"I don't think I need a boyfriend," I told her honestly, even though I wasn't a hundred percent sure of what I did and did not need anymore. "I'm perfectly fine just the way I am."

But I wasn't so sure that was the truth. It still hurt whenever I saw Blake. I still got jealous whenever I saw him around another girl. It had been two months, and I didn't know if this pain was ever going to go away.

Even if it was dull, I didn't know if the pain was ever going to stop. And that scared me.

"What about Christian?" she asked, and I rolled my eyes. "I know you're probably tired of everyone saying how good you two would be together, but doesn't that tell you something? Or what about Derrick—"

"I'm not going to date Derrick," I told her sternly, just to make sure she'd get this through her head. "He dated our best friend, Cassie. I'm not going to betray Leslie and go out with her ex-boyfriend."

My best friend shrugged. "Whatever. I was just suggesting you go out with someone you know well."

Derrick and Christian were the only single guys that I was acquainted with. Sean was dating Cassie, Thomas was now dating Jane, and Elias was dating Carrie. Derrick and Christian seemed to be the only guys that I could date, if I wanted to.

I shook my head. I was not going to date someone just because Cassie wanted me to. She had a boyfriend, and he should have been who was on her mind, not me. Though she didn't seem to be as excited about dating Sean like she used to anymore.

"But you're completely content with not having a boyfriend?" Cassie looked disgusted with the thought of being single. It almost made me feel bad for her, that she thought that way... Almost. "What about prom? Are you not going to go to prom? You can't go to prom without a date!"

She was starting to give me a headache. Why couldn't she see how I wasn't interested in those types of things? Prom was the last thing I was thinking of right then. We still had to get this freaking show out of the way first.

"I just won't go to prom then," I shrugged simply, since it really didn't bother me.

Cassie looked like I had just insulted her mother or something. I rolled my eyes. "You have to go to prom!" she practically squawked. "Prom's the whole reason you go to high school! It's the most important thing about it! You can't just not go, and you can't go without a date!"

I was done talking about this. I felt like my brain cells were dying.

Halfway through rehearsal, I realized I had left my script in my locker, and I didn't have the whole show memorized. So when we got to the point where I had no idea what I was doing, I asked Mr. Summers if we could take a break. Luckily, he said yes.

I ignored Mona completely during rehearsal, and only interacted with her when I absolutely had to. Cassie didn't seem to notice that anything was off between us, and even Mona seemed confused to why I wanted nothing to do with her. Obviously Blake hadn't informed her why I had stormed out of his apartment.

I made my way out of the auditorium by myself, but was stopped before I could get very far by someone from behind me calling out, "Hey, Leah, wait up!"

I turned around to see that it was Christian who had called up to me, and I waited for him to catch up before I continued my way to my locker. I said nothing to him, mostly because I didn't know if there was anything I could say.

"You excited about the show?" he asked, that usual smile of his on his face. "I sure am. It's getting closer and closer every day."

It was weird to think about. The show really was getting closer, even though it almost felt like it was never going to come. "Yeah, I'm excited," was all I was able to say back to him.