Chapter 12

"Where are we?" Rose asked.

   "How are we supposed to know?" Kit snapped. "We're just as clueless as you are."

   "Figures, air fairies are a little light headed, don't you think?" Rose cunningly purred. She sat on the ground, looking at her nails.

   Kit narrowed her eyes and suddenly, Rose was gasping for air.

   "Funny, since you think garden faries are so smart, you didn't know that we can make you and your little precious babies wither. Without oxygen, no plants, and no air for the garden fairies to breathe."

   Finally, Rose collasped, a soft thud as she hit the wet grass. Instead of getting mad, she laughed as she pushed herself up. "You're making this more entertaining by the second." Her fist clentched, and then vines and thorns strangled Kit. "We may not be able to take away oxygen from a room, but we can make sure you don't get it... by strangling the very life out of living things. Thorns dug into Kit's skin and she winced. Droplets of blood sprung from the wounds.

   "STOP IT!" I yelled. "YOU'RE HURTING HER! STOP!!! STOP!!!" A burst of light came from Kit's direction. The plant was being engulfed by flames, slowly making it's way towards Kit. Finally, it licked at Kit's legs and she screamed.

   Emory put out the water before Kit became the prey of fire. The crop broke down into ashes, letting down a scared Kit. I ran to Kit. "I'm so sorry," I cried. "I could've killed you!" I looked down at her ankles, which were covered in blisters. "I'm sorry," I repeated.

   She threw her arms around me, squeezing me with all her might. I could hear her crying softly. Then, I felt the soft pressure of tears falling on my shoulders.

   "OWWWW! IT HURTS!!! STOP IT!!!!" Kit screamed. Emory sat beside her, putting cold water on her ankles. "STOP!!!!" He ignored her cries and pleas of pain.

   "Do you want it to get better?" Rose asked, annoyed with Kit's screaming. "This is getting on my nerves."

   "Maybe you shouldn't strangled her!" I screamed at Rose.

   "She's the one who made the first act of violence!" Rose screamed back.

   "I'm not saying what she did was right, but YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KEPT IT GOING!!!"

   "EXCUSE ME FOR STANDING UP FOR MYSELF!!!"

   "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THAT RUDE COMMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE! 'LIGHT HEADED' DO YOU WRITE YOUR OWN COMBACKS, MISS ROSE?!?!?!?!?"

  "YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SET THE PLANT ON FIRE IN THE  FIRST PLACE!"

   "SIT DOWN, AND SHUT UP!!" Emory screamed. He was so loud and terrifying, we did as he said. Empry was red with anger. He was trying to fix Kit and here we were, fighting, immaturely, like children. Was fighting going to fix Kit faster? No, but it sure felt good.

   I watched Kit's blisters go down. Finally, there was no trace of it ever being there.

   My mouth was wide open. "I thought water fairies were only supposed to move water?"

   "No one but the garden fairies know that we can do this. Cool huh?" he held his hands in fron of him, studying them.

   "You must really be a blockhead. Didn't you see all those times when someone got hurt on the way here? He healed them. You must've not been paying attention."

   "I was, but I thought it was the... medicine you gave them. Magic medicine."

   Rose burst out laughing. "That's what you thought?! Only water fairies can use their healing trinkets or whatever. It's not magic medicine."

   "Sorry," I sighed, letting go her laughter at me, "I wasn't raised in a fairy world. This is all new to me. In my world, the closest we have to magic is the magic of technology."

   "Alright," Emory sighed as he got up, "I'm going out for a walk."

   I pulled out something bulky from my back pocket. A box of cigarettes. I forgot all about these, I was holding them for a friend.

   She won't mind if I try one, will she? Taking one out, I also grabbed a lighter. I lit the cigarette and took a puff. I coughed it out of my lungs.

   "Give me one," Kit ordered. I did so and she took one eargerly. "The thing about cigarettes for fairies is that you don't get addicted to it or get sick or anything." She took the lighter and lit it. Kit blew right in Rose's face.

   Rose waved her hand in the air, trying to get it away from her. "I'm repulsed, what is that awful thing?"

   "Cigarette, want one?" Kit offered, holding out the box to Rose. I took another puff when Emory got back.

   "What are those?" he asked.

   Kit blew in his face, too. "Cigarette, want one?"

   He coughed, "No."

   "I guess only fairies don't like smoking, which is werid. I smoke all the time at my place. Maybe it's because I'm used to being with bad influences and such." She tapped the ash off the end of her cigarette. "Most of my friends at school smoke."

   "What is this school?" Rose asked.

   "I''m not explaining it to you," she took another puff and blew in her face, "princess."

   I looked down, ignoring Rose's expecting gaze. "What?! You think I'm going to tell you anything after your bitchy attitude?"

   "Whatever."

   Something rustled in the bushes. We all looked up. "Did you hear that?" I whispered.

   "Yeah, what is it?" Rose asked.

   Suddenly, a creature came out and attacked me.

   I screamed, the cigraette dropping from my mouth. The beast gnashed its teeth and snarled. I tried to hold it at bay. The creature was furry, almost looked like a werewolf.

   The werewolf creature pushed me against a tree. Its teeth dug into my neck and I couldn't think.

   In that moment, I was stunned. Was my skin that easy to break? The beast bit into it as if it were butter. The creature cowered back. I held my bleeding neck as I watched in terror. The beast in front of me was being called.

   "Come here, Wolfie," a girl's voice ordered.

   The beast-- "Wolfie"-- sat at the girl's side. Her long brown hair was in a pony tail. Her feet were bare.

   "Sorry about that." The girl was clearly younger than me. She walked over to me and placed her hand on my bleeding neck. Cold water coursed through my veins and finally, my wound closed.

   "You're a water fairy?" I asked.

   "Yeah, I am." She grabbed a cigarette and snapped her fingers. A spark of fire lit the cigarette.

   "You're a spark fairy?"

   "Yeah, I am." She walked over to Wolfie and petted his head. The beast melted to her touch. "If you also want to know, I was raised in the human world."

   "Me, too," Kit and I said together.

   "How could it be?" Rose asked. "You have two opposite powers. Are you a hybrid?"

   "Yeah I am and for your info, there is no opposite line you speak of. Everythings somehow common in their own way. Like good and evil. There's no line between good and evil either. Come," she walked away, "You need a place to stay, right?"