Chapter 6

~Peri~

   Dinner was... awkward. I can't even explain how silent it was. The queen tried to talk, but when she did, it would always be some kind of insult to me being wingless. She probably didn't mean it but she kept talking about wingless fairies never succeeding.

   I sat alone in the training session. Sirena was teaching this class. Everyone flew around like the non-wingless fairies they were. I remained on the ground. Nice and safe. But if I did have wings, I wouldn't be 'afraid of heights', as Emory would call it, because if I fell, I could always fly. There's no way of falling with the ability to fly. Unless your wings are broken or cut off but other than that there are no ways of falling. Wait, unless your not awake and someone pushes you off a cliff. I'll just stop thinking about falling.

   "Why aren't you practicing?" Emory flies over to me.

   I pointed to my wingless back. "Have you not noticed? They're in the sky. I'm on the ground. They fly while they learn. I stand and look up while I learn. Get it?"

   "So?"

   "So... it's like sitting outside the classroom while others are learning inside."

   He paused to think. "What's a classroom?"

   I huffed and rolled my eyes. "Nevermind."

   He sat down beside me, his wings brushing my side. "No, I want to learn about this 'classroom'."

   "Not much to learn about it. There's a lot to learn in it. A person," I pause, "known as the teacher, talks to us about history, science, civics, biology, chemistry, botany, english, language arts, and so on. It can be really boring at times, and at others, it can be really interesting. Until the class acts up and the teacher performs child abuse."

   Emory gasped.

   "No, I was just kidding. The worst she can do is give you a detention, also called a time out." I was making sure to dumb these sentences about school down.

   "That's why you don't want to practice your fairy skills?"

   "What skills?!" I huffed. "I can't even make freaking fire come out of my hands!" A tiny puff of smoke came out on my palms to show Emory. He observed my palms like I had a rash.

   "At least you can make a tiny puff of black smoke," he encouraged.

   I pointed up to the class. "Look up there. See how that's real fire coming out of little work? I do a lot of work and all that comes out is this." I shot another puff of smoke out.

   He waved away the black smoke and took my hands in his. "You need to relax. Don't push yourself too hard. You're stressing way too much. Don't think about it for a while. Go home and relax. Okay?"

   I sighed. "Fine."

   I walked to my room on the ground. The room was an overgrown flower. It was closest to the ground, but I still had to have a latter to get up there. I climbed up the weaved vines to get to the door. The flower opened up one petal and I stepped inside. Everything was dark. I have to spark the lights on so I guess I'll sit in the dark.

   Everything was made of plants and exotic flowers. Talk about being green. Get it... because plants are green? Oh nevermind.

   I felt around for my bed and flopped on it. I held out my palms and closed my eyes. "Come on, come on, come on," I muttered to myself. Another puff of smoke crawled inside my nose and I waved it away like gas. It smelled like burning.

   "Need help?" a voice asked. The lights went on. It was the queen. "Why aren't you at training?"

   "I can't keep up with them," I sighed and stood up. "I can't even fly! How am I supposed to see and hear them when they're up in the sky? My eye sight isn't all that well, you know."

   "No, I didn't know."

   "Anyway, I just can't keep up. Gravity keeps me down."

   The queen was silent for a moment as if she was thinking. "Then I'll lift you up. Peri, you don't need wings to fly. It takes a lot more practice to fly without wings, but it is possible."

   "Emory already told me that. I haven't even tried."

   "Why not?"

   "It's too hard," I whined.

   "Hmm, no spark fairy of my kingdom gives up when it's too hard."

  "I'd hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not in or a part of your 'kingdom'."

   "You're more a part of it than you think."

   "Well, I give up. When can I go home? I want my normal life back. I want my crappy school with my crappy teachers. I want my crappy dad and my angelic mom back. My mom needs me."

   "I need you. We need you. This whole kingdom and other kingdoms need you."

   "I want to go home."

   "Last time I checked, you ran away from home. Want to know why you ran away? Because this is your home."

   "I don't like it here then."

   "Do you think I can help you with your winglessness?"

   "Well I thought you can give me some magical potion or do a magical spell."

   "That's dark magic. I will not allow it. Wings from spells or potions cause greed, and madness. I will never allow it."

   I took a deep breath and let it out. "Can be be alone for a while, now?" I asked calmly.

   "Of course," every bit of anger had vanished in the queen's voice.

   "Thank you," I sighed as she walked-- er, flew-- out of the room.

   I sighed and sat back down. Looks like I'm stuck here for a while. I held out my palm and closed my eyes. Another puff of smoke came out. I sighed again. Stress was clouding my mind, just as Emory said.

   Think of a happy place. "Happy place, happy place," I chanted to myself. Ah, at home with my mom! Alright. I closed my eyes and relaxed. The stress clouds cleared up in my mind very slowly. "Alright," I muttered. Poof , black smoke came out in a cloud. "Arrgh!" I yelled.

   I got off my bed and kicked a nerby stool. I grabbed my hair and yelled. Why was it so hard? Why can't I do it right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   thnx for reading. please comment or/and vote! -- Private19