7. Talent Show

(EXPLICIT CONTENT)

***Taylar POV***

Since the night of the party I hadn't spoken to Julian. It'd been a month almost. It was the last day of school before Winter break and I'd done a good job of avoiding and ignoring him. Which was good because I needed to focus on this talent show. The judges were from different colleges up north, out east and out west. The winner got a two year scholarship to a college of their choice. I needed that scholarship if I wanted to go off to a school of my choice.

I was waiting backstage nervously pacing when someone grabbed my arm. It was Julian. His eyes begged me to hear him out. But what could he say? 'Oops I slipped and fell into her vagina'? Well knowing how ran through Marsha was it was possible.

I grumbled under my breath as he pulled me into a corner.

"Look," he began. "I don't want to talk about that right now. I wanna talk about us crushing this performance for you to win this thing. Please don't shut yourself off again. Sing the song, Taylar. Feel the song. Your father and mother and everyone who supports you are out there waiting."

His breath smelled of mango, his favorite fruit. His lips looked so kissable. I longed to kiss those perfect pink lips. He stepped away from me and I looked away from him. When I looked back the hurt had returned to his eyes. I almost felt bad. But this was his fault. My name was called and we walked onstage. He sat at the piano and I walked over to the microphone. Julian began to play. And I began to sing.

***Julian POV***

Taylar opened her mouth and a sound I'd never heard in all our times practicing filled the room. About halfway through the song I looked into the crowd and tears were visible on some faces, including the judges. But more importantly her father's face was stained with tears as he stood holding her mother in front of him.

She continued singing as she stared at him. A couple times her emotions got to her and she had to stop briefly. But she was killing it. I looked to her and she glanced my way. A tear escaped her eye and she turned back to her father. It hurt me that possibly this note of underlying sadness in her voice was because of me.

Far too soon her song came to an end and she whispered into the mic, "Thank you. I love you, Daddy."

The crowd erupted into applause and Brian hopped on stage and embraced her. She clung to him as whistles and cheers filled the room. The curtain fell behind them and I stood to walk away.

"Julian," Brian called.

I turned to them and he extended his hand. I walked over and shook his hand.

"Come to our house for a celebration dinner," he said with a smile. "I know my little girl got this in the bag."

I rubbed the back of my neck as I began, "Thanks Sir. But I don't-"

I was cut off when Taylar said, "Yeah. It'll be fun getting all that praise with my partner."

I looked at her and she nodded slightly. I looked to Brian as he said, "My wife makes a mean roasted duck."