Chapter 17

"What in the name of Merlin are you all doing here?"

McGonagall's voice is shrill, yet full of concern. When no one answers, she rushes over to see what James is shielding. Catching sight of the small, unmoving body, she steps back and tries to conceal her quiet scream of horror.

"Professor Dumbledore's office," she says feebly. "Now, all of you, to Professor Dumbledore's." They prise a still sobbing James off of Peter and Lily holds his hand, attempting to convince him to head to the headmaster's office with them.

"It was him, wasn't it," says Sirius quietly to the professor on his way out.

"Mr Black, I-"

"It was. I know it was. It was Voldemort. He killed him. He killed Peter."

And he follows his friends out the door, leaving McGonagall with Peter's body, tears falling down her tired and sunken cheeks.

                                                          ***

"I'm sure you are all aware of what has happened tonight, however I would be quite astonished if I knew none of you were wondering why."

Dumbledore wearily steps down the stairs towards the five teenagers huddled in front of his desk. Sitting down on the grand oak chair, he faces them, his piercing blue eyes absent of their usual sparkle.

"Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters attacked the school. You heard at dinner that he wished for me to hand myself over, or he would indeed unleash his forces."

Marlene fixes her cold gaze upon him. "And you didn't think that maybe you should hand yourself in, you know, so your students wouldn't be murdered?" He puts up a hand to silence her.

"I did," he explains calmly. "I handed myself over without question. But you must learn, Miss McKinnon, that people lie. Voldemort is a powerful man. Terrible, but powerful. He had the hope that if I handed myself over, faced him alone, he and his Death Eaters would be able to eliminate me as a threat. That is to say, kill me. So he attacked like he had planned to. But, your professors put up a most excellent fight, and they fled. They realised they were being overpowered, and ran.

"However, before they left, Voldemort cast a spell causing the ceiling of the first floor, or the floor of the second floor to explode. Perhaps he was attempting to make sure that any students out of their common rooms were taken care of." They feel as if he is looking them all directly in the eye at the same time, making them all feel an awful pang of regret for Peter.

"It was my fault sir," begins Lily, but Dumbledore, rather strangely, smiles.

"I suppose you feel you are responsible for endangering your friends? For poor Mr Pettigrew? It was you, wasn't it, who realised Mr Potter here might have been unsafe?" Lily opens and closes her mouth in shock. How does Dumbledore have such an uncanny knack for guessing the truth?

"Lily dear, do not blame yourself. It is no one's fault but Voldemort's. He is a great evil, and any tragedy that has occurred tonight lies solely on his shoulders. Now, I suggest all of you go to the hospital wing and ask Madame Pomfrey for a dreamless sleeping potion. Professor McGonagall will write to all of your parents, along with Mr and Mrs Pettigrew and inform them of what has happened." They start to leave the room, when the headmaster places a hand on James's shoulder. He nods at Lily as if to say, "It is fine, I'll meet you outside," then turns around.

"Do not blame yourself for Mr Pettigrew's death, James. I can tell that you are."

"Peter." James fights to keep his voice even. "His name is Peter. Besides, how can I not blame myself? If I hadn't been in the hospital, if I hadn't needed warning about the Death Eaters, maybe he would still be alive." He looks into Dumbledore's eyes, desperately trying to make him understand.

The old man raises his eyebrows. "And Peter made the choice, did he not, to come and rescue you?"

Anger boils up inside James. "So you're saying its Peter's fault?" He spits. Dumbledore is calm as ever.

"As I said to Miss Evans, it is no one's fault but Voldemort's. Do not dwell on it, James. Do not blame yourself for a lesser man's evils."

**********

*********

********

*******

******

*****

****

***

**

*

Poor James

Kind of longer chapter today, hope you like!

Byeeeeeeeee