Chapter 14

Published: 4/12/2016; Tuesday; 10:10pm; Unedited

Holy crap this is a long chapter! :O One more chapter after this! Don't know if I'll be able to get it up today or tomorrow, but be expecting it! :D

Chapter 14 

We attacked relentlessly, but many had died during this fight, and their death was not in vain. We had come far, the Skull Reaper's health was almost completely depleted-- we were going to win.

Skull swung his scythe hand and killed another player before my eyes. One hit. That's all it took for the Skull Reaper.

The health got lower and I heard Heathcliff from my left, "Everyone, attack!" We all charged in, hitting Skull Reaper without stopping. I unleashed a onslaught of skills and attacks, despite my previous fear of the creature I had designed when I was twelve by remembering that this was another monster in our way to freedom, I tightened my grip on my sword, watching as my creation helplessly drooped to the ground, unable to defend itself or fight back any longer.

I roared, sending one last attack to Skull Reaper. It shot up, letting out a screech before stiffening and exploding into pixels. A 'Congratulations!!' flashed above us, signifying our win.

'We did it,' I panted, staring up at the notice above us, 'We won...but why do I still feel dread?'

Everyone dropped down, even I fell to my knees and breathed a sigh of relief, breathing heavily, Kirito back-to-back with Asuna on the floor, catching their breath. Klein was squat down, eyes closed and brows furrowed.

"How many lives have we lost?" He asked, and at the question, Kirito pulled up his menu and searched for something. Asuna looked back as his shoulder drooped.

"Fourteen people died."

Agil's breath hitched, eyes widening, "You've gotta be kidding me." Everyone looked over, horrified looks on their faces, having heard the news through the silence of the room.

"There are still twenty-five floors left to clear," Klein muttered.

"Can we really make it all the way to the top?" Agil questioned after. People started whispering, muttering, rocking back and forth, thinking about giving up. Kirito looked up and stared at something, making me follow his gaze and landed on someone  rather than something. Why was he staring a Heathcliff?

'I mean, he was standing, sure, and he didn't seem out of breath like the others. He looked as if the fourteen deaths didn't even bother them, plus he--' My eyes widen, realization dawning on me, 'He doesn't have  a scratch on him.' I stood up shakily, taking a better look at his health, 'He was injured, but...' I saw Kirito move out of the corner of my eye and snapped my gaze towards him, Asuna turned around in question to his movement, but he shot up and sprinted to Healthcliff, attacking.

Heathcliff was surprised, and rose his shield up, protecting himself, but a purple hexagon blocked Kirito instead, and another popped up with two words on it. 

Immortal Object.

"Kirito-kun, what are you--" Asuna had began running over, but stopped as her eyes landed on the words as well. It was silent for a moment, everyone standing up, staring. "System-granted immortality? What is the meaning of this, Commander?"

"This man's HP gauge is protected by the system so that it never drops into the yellow zone," Kirito informed. "Ever since I got stuck here, there was one thing I didn't get. 'Where is he observing us and controlling the world from?' But I overlooked something obvious. It's something even a child would know. There's nothing more boring than watching others play an RPG from the sidelines. Don't you agree, Kayaba Akihiko?"