Chapter 17: Unsynced

Start from the beginning

"Tobias."

"That was an order!" I rose to my feet and slammed my fist on the desk. A crack shot toward Eric. "I did not ask," I stated. "I want a pod. If Raja is alive, and pray Eric, pray with every ounce of faith his royal highness may have, that Raja is alive." I stood up straight. "Because if he's not, I'll take Sora as a replacement."

Eric didn't move and just peered up me.

"If I have to suffer, then so do you. I gave you a responsibility. Protect, Raja. I could have easily left Sora in the palace and let him die with everyone else. Would have made a great heart-wrenching piece for the news," I leaned across the desk and looked into his eyes. "But I gave you my word to protect him. You did not keep your word," I exclaimed. Biting my upper lip, I stood straight and turned my back to him. "Starting to make sense why everyone hates Helix. It being run by idiots, who don't even check to make sure a planet is synced."

"I am truly sorry," he whispered. "Your pod will be ready by tomorrow morning."

***

I walked into the hangar of the transport station with my duffle bag over my shoulder. I looked down at my tablet to check the number. Scanning the line of pods, I didn't see it.

"Sir," said a quiet voice.

I looked down my nose at a short man. He gave me an uneasy smile.

"General Hollins."

"Where's my pod?"

"We've prepared it for you. This way." He motioned for me to follow.

Figured Eric wouldn't show after our conversation the day before. I meant it. If something happened to Raja, I would take Sora.

We stopped in front of a station, and I checked the identification code. It was correct.

"His majesty wanted me to give you this." The man grabbed a chip from the control panel and handed it to me.

I plugged it into my tablet and scanned the information. The images showed a very industrialized civilization. "Any contact?"

"No sir, contact with the planet is strictly forbidden. Our research shows that Sector 31 has been progressing very rapidly over the last couple centuries."

I stopped on a picture of a hovercraft. "Only a matter of time before they become a problem. Any news about my pet?"

The man's eyes grew wide. "No sir. We are very sorry to hear the news."

"No one supposed to know about this." I looked him over.

He was sweating profusely. "Sir I... well I..."

"I told him." Charles emerged from between two pods. "He's the only one that knows and has been briefed that he is to tell no one." He turned to the man. "Make sure everything's ready."

"Eric told you my plan?"

Charles stared up at me. "It's a suicide mission, but knowing you, you'll live through it." He pressed a series of buttons on the control panel. "By the way, welcome back to the world of the living. Sorry, I missed the celebration."

"You could've come and visited, Charles," I laughed.

"I may not be a soldier, Toby, but work around here as only gotten more hectic since you decided not to be dead."

"It wasn't hectic during the war."

"I wasn't sending out pods during the war," he snapped. "Now I have constant stragglers coming in and every nation is trying to send in representatives to let Eric know they were on his side. Bunch of bullshit," he hissed. "None of them sent any aid, but with Helix reclaiming the place as boss bitch, it best to suck up to the emperor now."

I scratched the back of my neck. "Seems I'm not the only one mad at the emperor."

He pressed in a green button, and the panel started to glow. "When you do a shitty job, then yes. I have a right to be mad. He's too worried about pets and appearance to notice people around him plotting to overthrow him and destroy the empire." He arched a brow. "So yeah, I've grown to not really care for the guy. Not to mention, my house is a pile of rubble, because he couldn't advise a proper counter-attack even if it could save his goddamn planet."

"You used to be into pets," I replied, trying not to smile.

"Do you want to end up on a deserted planet covered in ice?"

I shook my head. "No. Sector 31."

He sucked in his cheek. "You know it was hard around here after you died. The whole empire started to crumble. Our outer colonies started blocking all their ports, in hopes to suck up to whoever won. We lost our hope, Tobias."

"Why is that my fault?"

"You're more of a symbol to Helix than Eric will ever be."

I nodded. "I think his highness is figuring that out for himself. So it's best if me leaving doesn't get out."

"I'm not telling anyone. If it wasn't for Raja, I won't let you anywhere near this building, so," he looked me in the eyes, "find the kid, don't get yourself killed, and get your ass back here."

The pod door opened.

"I like this new Charlie," I chuckled. "He's far more fun to be around than the man that just wanted to look at pretty slaves."

"Get in," he waved his arm.

I climbed into the pod and tossed my bag on the couch.

"Alright." Charlie stood in the doorway. "Up to date on your shots?"

"I'm a soldier. Getting stabbed in the ass with a needle happens regularly."

"Good." He looked around the compartment. "The timelines will not be synced. Eric really wants it to look like you never left. If you come back in an hour, I'll honestly be happy. You have three days. If you are not back, Eric will be sending an entire squadron after you. Don't drag us into another war, Tobias?"

"I doubt they're that advanced." I waved the tablet.

"You do know how long that is, right?"

I thought for a moment, trying to do the division in my head. "A couple months."

"Seven months, Tobias."

"Oh, hmmm...." I tapped my finger on the panel. "That's a long time."

"Please just be back in fifteen minutes, alright?" He stepped out.

"I'll try. Seeya." I waved.

Charles did the same, before closing the door. I did up my seatbelt and leaned back in my chair. Seven months, let's hope it didn't take that long.