5. Exhausted, Yet Awesome

Start from the beginning

Once again Agnes ran over to see the natural beauty of the animal. Her hands grasped onto the metal railing as Margo read the information out loud then Edith would stare at the animal with bland expressions.

The ex-villain and the redheaded took a seat on a wooden bench. Lucy watched the girls excitedly jumping and reading, with tranquility. The she turned her head to spot Gru with his typical frown staring off at something else but the zebra. Whenever this happened, Lucy felt like it was her job to see other people around her smile and have a pleasant time. She scooted over a bit closer him, trying to catch his attention. Yet nothing worked.

"What's wrong Gru?" The agent cocked an eyebrow.

"Vat, n-nothing," His arms folded, legs crossed and looked at Lucy's direction.

"Why aren't you having fun?"

"Am having fun." He nodded.

"Really? Frowning and averting your eyes from me doesn't seem like your having 'fun.'" Her tone went down a little.

"Come on Gru..." Lucy's hand slowly linked with his. Her thumb was slightly rubbing off the palm of his hand, as she leaned forward. The ex-villain blinked in surprise.

"Tell me what's wrong." She added softly.

Gru's face turned as red as a tomato, as he felt her hand roam in his chest. She had that helpful smile on her face. The one Gru couldn't resist looking at.

"Fine." He mumbled.

Lucy's hands rested back in her lap and heard what Gru had to say.

"It's dat I haven't gone to de zoo since forever. And now dat am here it feels uncomfortable."

"So you wanna leave?" Guessed the redheaded.

"Not if de gurls are having fun. I don't want to spoil their fun." He smirked.

"It's alright honey, I'll try to make this trip as amazing as it was for you back then. Alright?" The agent smiled, showing her teeth.

The ex-villain held out his pinkie in front of Lucy. His puzzled girlfriend looked at him as if he was a maniac.

"What are you doing?"

"Pinkie promising." Replied Gru.

She playfully role her eyes and held out her pinkie, sealing the promise. The agent's mouth led out a giggled, covering it with the palm of her hand.

"Alright let's go see the next animal." Stood up Lucy. The youngest child ran back to the redheaded, grabbing onto her hand. "I don't really like zebras, they make me dizzy." Agnes scratched her head.

After a long walk passing through exhibition through the exhibition, knees were staring to feel weak. The rays of the sun were setting off heat and burning the top of their heads. Light rays were blocking their eyesight. Unfortunately, bottles of water contained little water left and the fans did absolutely nothing for cooling off. Each step they took shifted weight from left to right, making them almost die of exhaustion. Slowly, no more animal exhibition was appearing. It was just the same old sidewalk twisting, turning and making all sorts of loops, making it seem more like a workout than what it really is.

"How far are we?" Edith spoke breathlessly.

Lucy grabbed the map, placing her hand on her forehead, blocking out the sun.

"At least half-way."

"HALF-WAY!" Shouted the middle child. She grabbed her water bottle/fan. With a flick of a button, the fan spun around and sprayed some warm water on her face.

"I never wanted to get to the zoo at the first place!" She turned off her water bottle/fan.

Guilt started to take over the redheaded. She knew how Edith felt. The heat, the sun rays hitting their face and the super long walk. Anyone can easily compare this trip with a desert! The agent let out a deep sigh and glanced at her map back again.

Was there any hope?

She opened her lips so words can escape but nothing came out. She was interrupted by her boyfriend. "Don't say dat Edith. Enjoy de time on vat yu have here. Yu might never know when yu'll be going back to a zoo."

"Why's that?" Question Edith.

"Cuz de last time I went to de zoo was when I was Agnes age," Gru answered.

The girl with the pink beanie hat looked up Gru with awe. "Wow! That must be a hundred years ago!" Edith expanded her arms. "Did you see dinosaurs?" Agnes walked up a little closer to her dad. "No, no. I saw de same animals yu saw." Gru pointed. "Wait. There're zoos in Russia?" Margo asked.

"Oh, there zoos in every city! There's one in Moscow, Leningrad, Voronezh, Kaliningrad, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg and much more." The ex-villain said in his Russian accent.

"I went to de Moscow Zoo twice a week when Mother wasn't too busy. My favorite exhibit has to be de one with de lion because..." Along the trail of nothing but the sidewalk and heat, Gru talked about his past life in the Russian zoo. Lucy, Margo, Edith and Agnes were astonished by the brief description that the ex-villain gave. As the group kept on dragging their feet, a faint sound of music and laughter was heard. Lucy bit her bottom lip, hoping she wasn't hallucinating something. The closer they got the more excited and hype the girls were. Soon enough Edith ran for it followed by Margo and Agnes. When the couple arrived, it seemed like a party of some kind was being held. Children were running in and out while Adults laughed and talked to each other. Lines for food trucks were being formed and the sweet aroma of beef floated through the atmosphere. It felt like paradise.

The couple sat on a bench nearby to catch their breath as the girls just ran around a waterpark cooling themselves up. Lucy grabbed her water bottle, placing her lips on the top of the bottle drinking the rest of the liquid. She turned her head to see Gru, who's also sweating.

"So did you have fun so far or are you still feeling uncomfortable." Asked the agent.

"Oh, I feel so much better. Thanks to de recall memories of back then in Russia, it makes me realize how important it is to enjoy life at the de moment." Replied Gru.

"Just like how I am now." The ex-villain slipped his hand on Lucy's hip, making her scooting over to his side. She fell on his chest, making her way to cuddle in. She smirked.

"Gru we found you!" The middle child pointed up to the arctic penguins swimming and eating.

"Ha, ha, ha." He laughed sarcastically.

"Very funny." He added.