Chapter 3

A/N: So, this is my first author's note! I hope that you are enjoying the story, and I'm sorry for not updating earlier! School's been in the way, with finals and stuff coming up... Anyways, thank you for reading and enjoy chapter 3!

~March 17, 1838~

Alice went down the hallway and went to her study room. She went over to her desk and opened a drawer. In the drawer there was a pile of papers, and underneath it, was a small box. On top I the box was a piece of paper attached to it that said "Do not open until you are sixteen years of age"

Alice took the small box and opened it. Inside it was a letter on top of an object. She set the small box on top of the desk and read the letter. She instantly realized that it was her mother's handwriting. She read:

"My precious Alice,

How have you been today? If you are reading this letter, it is because you have now turned 16. Inside of the box you can find a ring and a necklace.

This set of jewelry has been passed down for generations when we, women, turn 16. Now it is you turn to wear it.

Your father and I are extremely proud of having you, and of all the things that you have achieved during these past years. We would never exchange you for anyone else.

I truly hope that today will be you most special and memorable day ever. Tonights ball will be filled with pure joy and the finest of people.

Your father and I will be present at your ball, so you can expect to see us. We will be very busy greet in the guests, but we will most definitely be more together than ever after tonight.

I hope to meet you outside at exactly 9:30 wearing these. Your father and I will be waiting for you inside of the carriage there. We shall tell you what this is all about once you are inside.

Thank you for being who you are, and we love you very dearly.

Sincerely,
Mother"

Alice put down the letter and dried her eyes. She then picked up the little box, and looked at the fine jewelry. The ring looked ancient, yet was so finely crafted, all of the fine details still visible. It had a brand that she didn't recognize, but she let it slide.

She then looked at the necklace. It was a beautiful heart shaped locket with the same brand as the ring. The chain was made with silk thin strands of gold, all of them carefully threaded together.

She pit the ring and the necklace back into the box, and placed the box back where it was. Alice then stepped out of her study, down the long hallway, and down the grand staircase.

The front was already looking beautiful, with grand bouquets of roses. At the center there was a chocolate fountain, which Alice was really excited for.

"Edith? May we go to the garden for a second?" Alice called.

"Yes, milady." Said Edith, curtsying in front of her.

Alice followed Edith, and once they were out, she saw that the gardeners were working hard, making intricate designs on the bushes.

Alice waved at them, and then continued on down a path of stone to her favorite place. The rose garden.
The roses had been trimmed and the bushes were shaped into perfect little domes.

She then turned to Edith with a serious face and sighed. She then said, "We need to talk Edith."