Chapter 1

~March 16, 1838~

As Alice walked down the beautiful streets of London with her two closest friends, Margaret and Louise, and her maid Edith, they talked about her 16th birthday ball.

"My parents said that they will try to make time to come to the ball, since it is the social season after all." Said Margaret.

Margaret is the daughter of a renown viscount, and her mother is a famous actress, therefore they are busy everyday. Sadly, Margaret doesn't see her parents very much, therefore spending more time in her studies and with Alice.

"My mother said that I will be allowed to go, after all, I cannot wait to play Piano Sonata no. 14 in C-sharp Minor, at your ball!" Exclaimed Louise.

Her father had passed away in a tragic accident, and her mother is a respected opera singer and pianist. Louise is a very talented pianist, and she will be playing various songs at her ball.

"I would be delighted if you both could attend my birthday ball. I am sure that you and your families will have a delightful time." Said Alice with a bright smile.

Alice was the daughter of Earl Ashdown, who was a very respected and noble man. Her mother, Countess Ashdown, was a fine lady with a very strict etiquette.

"I am very happy for you my lady, but if I may, I suggest that we hurry to the tailor and pick up the dress you will wear tomorrow," said Edith, "it seems as if it is going to rain."

Alice trusted Edith like if she was a second mother, since she had grown up with her. Edith was a middle-class woman, yet she was finer than most women she knew. Edith too, cared for Alice as if she were her own daughter.

They soon arrived to the tailor's shop and Alice got her dress. She went into the dressing room with Edith and tried on the dress. She absolutely loved it, and was more than excited to wear it tomorrow.

After a while, they left the tailor with dress in hand and climbed into the carriage waiting for them outside.

Soon, they arrived at the Ashdown mansion, in which two carriages were waiting for Margaret and Louise.

"Thank you so much for coming with me! I had a fantastic time with you two!" Said Alice hugging both of them.

"Goodbye, Alice! I had a wonderful time too, and I cannot wait for your ball tomorrow!" Said Louise, and then climbed into the carriage.

"Thank you for inviting us to go with you! That dress of yours is truly magnificent, and I cannot wait to see it again tomorrow! Bye!" Said Margaret hugging Alice once more.

After both of them were gone, Alice then went inside. She climbed the stairs and went down the long hall to her bedroom. She opened the white doors leading into her bedroom, and sat down on the white chair by the chimney.

She then rang her bedroom bell, and asked for a cup of Earl Grey tea, since it was her favorite. After a couple minutes, her tea arrived, and she quickly drank it.

She then called Edith, and she helped her change into her pajama robe. She thanked Edith, and went to sleep, thinking of tomorrow.