"No one said she had to be replaced. Just think of it as a partnership."

Oliver shook his head.

"Listen son. Thatcher Hayes will beat you if things don't change around here. He's got the background in politics and you have nothing except the fact that you're a governor's son."

Oliver remained silent.

"My guy, he won't be afraid to get his hands dirty. To do what needs to be done."

Oliver was thinking about it. He at least had the right to think about it.

"So are you going to let me help you, or not?"

----------

Lucille rolled her eyes as she looked down at her iPhone. It was her grandma and she already knew why she was calling.

"Hello", Lucille said into the speaker.

"It's about time you pick up that phone Lucille", Grandma Sarah scolded. "I know you don't want to hear what I have to say-"

"Then don't say it", Lucille cut her off. "Stop making excuses for him", she said raising her voice. "What Aaron did was wrong and I'm not ready to forgive him. I don't know if I ever will."

"Now don't you talk like that", her grandma said sternly. "Aaron has always been there for you. Don't let this tear your relationship apart. Had you been coming to church like I asked you to, the devil wouldn't have made his way in between y'all."

Lucille rolled her eyes. "I've been busy, I told you that already."

"I don't know what has come over you, but you have changed since you got that new job. I'm praying for you, baby."

"Goodbye Nanna", she mumbled before ending the call.

Lucille started looking through the many text messages Aaron had left her. They all said something different but she got the same from every one:

I knowingly betrayed you by sabotaging your career but you should forgive me.

She turned her phone off and started looking for something to occupy her time. The brunch was coming up.

Oliver would be meeting with the group Teachers of Texas this Sunday. She decided to start working on a simple speech that he could give. She also worked on some talking points that he could bring up while having conversations with those who attend.

There was a knock at the door of her office.

"Come in", she said not taking her eyes away from her laptop.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?", Oliver asked. His voice was low. He didn't sound like himself.

"Is something wrong?", Lucille asked as she slowly closed her laptop.

He walked in and shut the door. He took a seat in one of the chairs in front of her desk.

"This thing", he said fumbling with his hands. "This campaign. It was never mine. This isn't my run for governor. It's a continuation of his."

Lucille wasn't sure what to say but she knew he wasn't making sense.

"I can't let him down. I have to win."

"He's calling in one of his guys. You'll still have your position but he'll be-"

"An overseer", Lucille interjected. "Because I'm doing such a terrible job right?"

"No that's not what I-"

"Thank you for letting me know. If you'll excuse me", she said as she grabbed her cell phone and backed away from her desk.

"Lucille", Oliver pleaded.

She ignored him and left out of the office. She walked directly over to door leading to the stairway. She went in and took a seat a few stairs up.

She dialed the number on her phone but couldn't bring herself to go through with it. At that very moment she felt that Oliver wasn't on her side so why should she continue to be on his.

The phone rang once before the dial tone stopped.

"Lucille, baby, you finally called back."

If Aaron's voice was an accurate representation of how he was holding up since their fight, things were going terribly.

"Can you pick me up after work?", Lucille asked. "We should talk."

Questions for the readers:

Does Aaron deserve forgiveness?

Did Oliver betray Lucille?

Yikes, another short (& boring) chapter. I've been so busy with school. This semester has really beat me up! Summer is coming soon though. I don't know when I'll update again so I won't even put a date up because we know how that always works out.. Hope you guys understand that school will always come first but I will always try and update when I have time :)

Also, I didn't know what to name this chapter. I titled it back and forth because obviously, Lucille and Oliver are back and forth with the being romantic, being friends, being not-friends. Lol. If y'all come up with something cooler, I would be so happy :)