The Tree House (F)

Teenage AU because I'm obsessed with these.

"Link, What do you mean you haven't had your first kiss yet?" Rhett held his hand over his mouth in an attempt to muffle his laughter as the people in the cafeteria began to stare. "Shut up! What's wrong with you?-" Link was now whispering and turning a bright crimson red "- I guess I just haven't found anyone worth kissing yet."
"It's not marriage, you nun." Link went to argue back, but instead he hung his head in shame, the hurt clearly written across his face. Rhett realised that he'd gone too far and reached out to place a comforting hand on Links shoulder "I'm sorry-"
"Forget it." With that Link was out of his chair and on his way out the crowded hall.

"I can't believe him, what a complete jerk. I thought I could trust him to keep his mouth shut. I guess he's right though, who gets to this age without kissing someone, I mean most of the people in our grade are having sex for Christ sake. I'm pathetic."
link decided he didn't want to be in school for 5th period, it was only chemistry and he was doing fine in that anyway. He was just so unbelievable angry at Rhett, he couldn't get over how his best friend of all people would react like that. He willed himself not to cry as he stormed out of the school building, across campus, through the woods and finally up to their old tree house.

They'd built it, just the two of them, about half a year ago one summers weekend. They'd spend long nights up there, snuggled under a thin blanket, just listening to the calming sounds of nature surrounding them. It was the place they made their blood oath to stick together forever and not let anything come between them. It was what started out as a dirty wooden shack and gradually became a sanctuary that they could share, Rhett and Link. Best friends. Brothers.

It wasn't until he'd sat down on their old couch that the tears began to fall. His throat burned from choking back the tears for so long, Rhett was the one person he trusted most in the world which made the betrayal a thousand times worse. Several minutes past, with Links sobs being the only noise to disturb the quiet wooded area, until he heard a voice coming from the ground. "Link? Hey buddy, are you up there?"
"No" he buried his face into the sift throw that covered the couch. They had cleaned the old piece of furniture, but the material was still rough and torn in multiple places, so a blanket was an easy solution to cover the blemishes. "I'm coming up, don't you go pushing me down when I get to the top now" Link giggled and immediately cursed himself for falling for Rhett's charm. Before long he heard slow footsteps approaching the couch, followed by a dip in the opposite end. "Gosh I just wish there was something I could do to cheer Link up" Rhett spoke aloud, in the kind of tone you would if you were talking to a toddler you were playing hide and seek with and you are pretending you didn't know where the were. "Don't you dare" Link was standing his ground with his face was still smushed into the couch, so his voice was muffled by the cushions. "I really wish it didn't have to come to this-"

Rhett was cut off by Link bolting for the exit, it was a pointless action on Links part, Rhett had cat like reflexes and had Link trapped on the couch before he could even process the action. He straddled the smaller boy and held him down with his two large hands pushing onto his chest. "Rhett Please don't" his pleads went ignored and Rhett started to quickly move his fingers up and down Links sides, tickling every inch of his torso. The small room echoed with a  mixture of Link screaming, laughing and taking deep breaths every now and then. "Stop...please...I can't." Rhett continued to tickle him until the tears he had cried from being upset were replaced with tears from laughing so hard. When he finally came to a stop he pinned Links hands above his head and watch his chest rise and fall while he tried to catch his breath once again. "I'm sorry Link, I was way out of line earlier. You trusted me with a secret and I just laughed in your face, I swear I'll never do it again."
"It's ok, you won't be able to laugh at me for it anyway."
"What-" Link detached his hands from Rhett's grip and grabbed onto his shirt, pulling him down and pressing their lips together. Rhett instinctively closed his eyes and smiled into the kiss once the shock subsided. It was messy and strange for the two of them and they kept knocking noses, but that made it all the more perfect. Link giggled and pushed Rhett away after some time, his glasses were slightly fogged up and his hair had fallen in front of his eyes. "Rhett I-"
"I know Link, I love you too."