The Seven Princes Of Hell

Frustration coursed through my bruised body as I fell in a heap against the hard ground. The sound of my impact echoed throughout the silent forest, which seemed to shudder in anticipation. My pain did not register immediately, however the metallic taste of blood did. The vile liquid flowed from the soft flesh of my cheek, filling my mouth rapidly. I spat out my blood onto the stick covered ground, the red ooze hardly noticeable against my dark surroundings. Very little was noticeable in this eerie forest due to the limited lighting that was projected by the full moon.

I stood, my limbs trembling despite my wishes. There was no time to dust the dirt off my tattered pants before I commanded my legs to surge forward. The blood thudded loudly throughout my body and I could feel the rapid thumping of my heart against my ears. I do not recall how I came to be in this situation, nor did I know why or what I was running from, however, I knew from the heavy footsteps that the threat was near. My pace grew faster as I heard the chilling growl of the beast that followed me which was then echoed by other creatures close by. I suppressed a shudder at the realisation that I was being followed by multiple dangers.

Stupidly, I turned my gaze to the creature which chased me and the terror that ran my blood cold halted me in my tracks. I was frozen in fear and all too soon I was surrounded by grotesque creatures that growled and snapped their scaled mouths at me. Their body resembled that of a lion's however they were covered in green glowing scales and their backs were arched in a threatening manor. They had extended snouts, their mouths drawn back to expose their yellow razor sharp teeth and elongated nails that dug into the ground in obvious anticipation. I could sense their lust for my blood, their eyes glowed a vibrant red that was intensified by the yellow ring around the pupil. Their tails swung excitedly for the kill, I had only hoped my body could still be recognised by my family so I could be put to rest. I had long ago accepted death and no longer feared it as many did. It was a natural occurrence and if it was my time to pass then so be it. But I wasn’t willing to go down without a fight.

The largest of the surrounding creatures pounced on me first, forcing me to fall against the rough ground. It snapped its salivating mouth close to my neck, its teeth grazing my tender skin. I felt my blood run cold. While I did accept that death was inevitable. I did not accept my death to be now or here. I would sooner be the cause of my own death than allow this creature to take my short lived life.

With a new found confidence I forced my knee upwards, hitting the creatures underside hard. It whined in protest but before I could take advantage of its pain, a ripping sensation exploded over my exposed leg. A blood curdling scream rung in my ears and only then did I register that it emanated from me. I felt the creature shake its head, its mouth still clamped over my leg, trying to rip off the meat on my leg.

I had never felt pain as excruciating as this, it was torture. The creature took my pain to its advantage and clamped its mouth around my neck. The others came closer and I could feel their wet mouths searching for a piece of me to tear off for themselves. I counted seven of these creatures before I began to feel the life drain from me. My screaming had halted but the pain grew worse. My vision began to fade, and thankfully, so did the feeling in my body.

I closed my eyes and welcomed the black haze that engulfed me. I heard a faint whisper just before the blanket of peace surrounded me completely. “They come for you soon, my dear.”

~ ~ ~

The vibrating shrill of my alarm clock caused me to sit up quickly. I panted as the sweat dripped from my buzzing body. I still sensed danger and my heavy intake of breaths did little to cool my over heated body. My hand shook as I ran it down my face, an action I did to clear my thoughts so I could process my nightmare without confusion.