Chapter 2: Ang Manyak ni Kim

*

"Sam came by yesterday," Alastair said on the other line. "She returned your coat."

I rolled my eyes. "I told her to keep it."

"Well, you know her."

"Did she say anything?"

"None," he answered. "Seriously, Kim, I still don't get why you guys broke up."

"We didn't break up, Al. There wasn't even a relationship, to begin with."

Sam was not one of those people that made my toes curl when seeing them for the first time. I saw her at my Pre-Calculus class in eleventh grade and she stood out. I mean she's smart. She was one of those smart people that are hard to approach. She has the so-called "resting bitch face." I didn't even know if she had any friends since I only had one class with her and she didn't talk to anyone in that class.

Maya, a close friend of mind besides Joey, and our other friends challenged me to have a conversation with her. At first, I didn't agree since I'm an awkward person and I tend to embarrass myself to strangers. They placed a deal that if I agreed to do it, they'd treat me lunch. I still didn't agree. I can manage to buy myself lunch and I don't want to bother her because of just some childish bet.

That exact day on my way to my car, it was raining. Sam was standing at the entrance of the school, staring at I don't know what. Ignoring her, I opened my umbrella and was about to enjoy my walk towards my car when she suddenly spoke that made me stop.

"You're Kim, right?" Sam asked with her thick accent.

I faced her then squinted my eyes. "Uh. . . yes?"

"You're unsure of your name?"

Chuckling, I waved my hand dismissively. "Yes, I'm Kim. And you're Sam."

"Right." She gave me a tight smile. "Do you mind sharing your umbrella?"

"Not at all."

She knows me? How? Well, Kim you have a class with her.

We walked towards her car first and it was really awkward. We weren't talking and my umbrella's a bit small so one-fourth of my body was wet so she wouldn't. But at least she thanked me after that. While walking towards my car this time, I heard her call me again.

"Come here!" she shouted from her car, window rolled down.

"Why?" I shouted back at her and since it was raining hard, it was difficult to hear her considering our distance. I sighed and just did as I told. When I finally was there, she was tapping on the steering wheel and looking straight ahead.

"Sam?"

"My car won't start," she now gave her attention to me. "Can you take me home?"

My toes curled and I said yes.

That was the start of our friendship. After a year, I can say that we grew closer. And I knew that I wasn't just attracted to her but I grew to like her. I thought of asking her out but I didn't want to make a move. Even telling her that I liked her was out of the picture. Besides the fact that we were just friends, I don't know how to make a move and I don't want to ruin our friendship. I don't get relationships. Being attracted to someone or in my case, to the people I find attractive is enough for me.

"You should talk to her, Kim," Al stated on the other line.

My heart ached to see Sam. I blinked. "Anyways, how's Dru?"