Chapter One: Puta

Chapter One: Puta

*

"Good afternoon po. Are you the friend of tito Lozo?" I asked the man with a full grown beard. He looked really cool with his beard and I was really hoping that he's the friend my uncle was talking about. He was just wearing a simple white shirt paired with cargo shorts and slippers.

"Kimberly Fiesta ba pangalan mo, hija?" asked the man with squinted eyes. (Is your name Kimberly Fiesta, young lady?)

Putting my hand out, I smiled. "Kim na lang po." (Just call me Kim.)

The man grinned at me then shook my hand. "Rafael. Tito Raf na lang."

A guy, I'm guessing, in his early twenties suddenly appeared from behind tito Raf and gave me a tight smile. Tito Raf then points to the guy. "Si Paulo pala, anak ko." (This is Paulo, my son.)

I did the same and we shook hands as well. They took my bags even though I told them it was fine since I only have three: a big luggage, a sports bag and my backpack. I still thanked them since I feel a bit tired.

"Tara na't alam ko'y napagod ka. Kumain ka muna sa bahay. Nagluto asawa ko ng hapunan," tito Raf said as we walked towards an owner which is a type of jeep but much smaller. (Let's go since I know you got tired. Eat at our home first. My wife cooked us dinner.)

They carefully put my bags at the back of the owner. Tito Raf let me sit beside him since he said that it was a bit uncomfortable at the back. The trip to their house took an hour and a half from the bus terminal. I may have to ask how to get to the airport later during dinner.

It was quiet during the ride. Not awkward quiet but just quiet. Though once in a while, tito Raf and Paulo talk in a different dialect. I don't mind. I was enjoying the view of the new place I'll be staying for two months. The wind felt good that I just have to close my eyes and savour the moment.

Once we arrive, the sun's already setting, casting orange all over the houses and pavement. There were kids playing happily, teenagers and adults wandering around. I smiled. I got down and before me was a field and there were lots of trees. I can actually see a mountain but I'm pretty sure it's still far from here. I wander what that mountain's called.

Taking my phone out, I captured a few shots of the view before putting it back in my pocket.

I turned around and saw them taking my bags out. I quickly hurried towards them and shyly smile. "Sorry. Ako na lang po." (Let me.)

Paulo smiled at me. "Kami na bahala rito." (We'll take care of this.)

Tito Raf and Paulo then spoke to each other. After a while, tito Raf then entered a house surrounded with different kinds of plants. Paulo directed his attention to me. "Ilagay na muna natin itong mga gamit mo sa bahay na tutuluyan mo." (Let's put your things first at the house you'll be staying at.)

"Tol, ipa am'ammu nak man met!" said a guy to Paulo, I'm assuming his friend who magically appeared out of nowhere. The guy was wearing a black shirt that hangs loosely on his slim body paired with a yellow jersey shorts.

Paulo hit the back of the guy's head. "Agtalna ka. Bisita mi atoy ."

While scratching the back of his head, the guy lends his other hand to me. "Hi. Ako pala si Toti." (I'm Toti, by the way.)

Shaking his hand, I smiled. "Kim."

Toti then turned to Paulo and playfully punched his arm. "Tol, bagik latta isunan, adda met Brida mon."

Paulo pushed his friend away. "Pumanaw kan. Panggulo ka eh." (You're a nuisance.)

I didn't understand a thing of what they're talking about.