Prologue ~Preview

R I L E Y

"Trust me Riley your gonna love it here! I know you and Maya haven't always gotten along but it'll be fine. You'll learn how to get along with her eventually."

I sighed knowing that this was going to be my future. A new dad, a new sibling, a new house, and a new school. It's like I'm starting all over again. I'm gonna miss my quirky best friend Farkle back at home in California but hello big apple!

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it here. I thought smiling to myself. I rolled my eyes at my mom and entered a small dinner. We were on our way to our new apartment but decided to have a snack. So my mom married Corey a teacher at John Quincy Adams Highschool in New York. Who also is Maya Harts dad.

I've hated her since kindergarten. I thought she would have been out of my life forever when she moved away but here I am as her stepsister.

My mom and Corey stood in touch and "fell in love" they had their wedding in California because he wanted it have his wedding in his home town for old times sakes. I thought we were staying in California at the time but after the wedding they dropped the big bomb on Maya and I.

I'm sure she hates this as much as I do. Finally we have something in common. Usually I would say lets just get this over with but I'm staying with them until I go off to collage so that's about 1..2..3 years! I skipped 8th grade because I was in the ap program at my old school so it could have been worst.

Maya is in 10th grade so I wouldn't see her often in school. Thank the gods. "Riley?" My mother said snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked up at her and saw that the waitress was there waiting on my order. "Oh I'll just have a chicken Cesar salad."

"Okie Dokie. Your order will be out soon." She said then walked away.

My mother thanked her then her attention turned back to me. "What?" I asked. "You look so miserable back in California you were so happy and acted like an angel. This new attitude isn't rubbing off good on me."

"If you have a problem how about you divorce Corey and we move back to California?"  She became silent and didn't say anything. "That's what I thought."

"Just give it a try. Or even be happy that your mother found happiness!"

"I don't mind you being happy with a guy. Just I don't like Maya and I don't want to live with him." "He's not a disease Riley and whatever you are gonna say or try to do won't make an impact on me and make me want to leave here. Understand?" She said sternly.

"Yes."

"Good because the waitress is coming back to our table and I don't want to cause a scene in public. You know? Can't damage my reputation as a lawyer. Gotta make a good impression."

"Do you think I'll actually have a good time here?"

"I'm sure of it kiddo."

----------

You have come to the end of your trial. Wanna read the full book? Wait until May 28th for the rest of the chapter!