Epilogue

It was a beautiful day for a coronation. A bird sat high on a tower behind Rhea, singing its trilling spring song. The air was still chilled but the sun was out in full and warmed her face as she tipped her head to it. Soon the flowers would peek from their winter beds, the gardens would come alive, and the leaves on the trees would unfurl their pale new leaves. But for now the earth dwelt in the moment between sleep and wake, the pause after the inhale, the holding of breath, preparing itself for the blooming anew.

Rhea stood on the threshold of her castle, framed by the mighty oaken doors. The courtyard before her was full, the expectant eyes of her lords and ladies, her soldiers, her castle staff all turned on her. The young Lord Gareth was there too, his large black fellcat sitting beside him as obediently as a trained dog. The fellcat's head brushed the youth's elbow, but the rest of the arm still hung uselessly at his side. The damage done by the fellcat's jaws had been permanent. The fellcat had not emerged unscathed either; it's tongue had been permanently damaged and Lord Gareth had personally fed it every meal after the collar had been removed. In the weeks spanning the night in the throne room and the Coronation, he and his new companion had traveled back to the Castle of the Cross. His servant-inpersonator and the rest of the harried staff were greatly relieved--and pleasantly surprised--to have their lord back and normalcy restored.

The white-robed man beside Rhea began a recitation. It was monotone and lengthy, something read from a large and dusty leather-bound tome. A passage about duty, about loyalty, about justice and mercy. Her father had stood on this very step, before this very door of the castle, listening to the very same passage. Likely read by a different priest though. She suspected this one had been only an infant at her father's coronation.

She had summoned the High Priest to perform the ceremony, and he had come without delay to perform this duty of his station. But Rhea also admitted a certain curiosity at his arrival. Namely, she had been interested in the relationship between him and Kain. Had the High Priest known the circumstances under which Kain had arrived at the Akronica? And had he known of Kain's secret subversion, his regular escapades to be trained in the arts of war after long days spent with the teachings of the Order?

But there had been nothing hostile between the two men. The High Priest greeted Kain respectfully and they each had continued to keep up the courteous manner through each encounter that Rhea had witnessed. She itched to talk to Kain about it, to learn every detail of his life before the castle, but taking the reins of her kingdom had kept her busy from dusk to dawn.

The High Priest had reached the end of the recitation, the familiar blessing bringing it to a close. "May Forsa guide your arrow; Meria, your heart; and Persis, your hand. May Drydian grace your hearth and fair Ellone grace your brow. May Kyrus and Krios make their peace beneath your watch."

Bright flags posted atop the outer wall danced on the sweet spring breeze, and Rhea could hear the distant melody of a jaunty tune played from somewhere beyond.

"By the will of the Seven Saints who favor this land," continued the High Priest, "I offer the crown, for eternal wisdom; the scale, for fair judgement, and the shroud, for the protection that you confer upon this land and its people. Do you accept?"

"I accept with honor." The ceremonial words. Her seafoam and cream gown fluttered at her ankles, but her heart was steady. She was ready for this role she had been destined to play.

"Then receive with blessing."

She knelt as the crown of gold and ruby was placed on her head. She extended her hands; the right received a small gold scale, delicately wrought; her left forearm was draped with a heavy scarlet shroud.

She stood.

"Long live the Queen!"

The shout was echoed across the courtyard and out into the city below. A roar like the ocean echoed back, thousands of voices cheering as one. A thrill went up her spine. This was it. The point where all the spokes of her life met.