ch. 2: Shape Shifted

Derek had actually found us a new place in a short amount of time, but it sucked. I actually liked it better than our burned, twisted and broken house that should've burned to the ground six years ago, but it wasn't anything compared to what it could be.

I was in a chair, my feet propped up on a small table and leaning my head to the side, asleep, when Isaac, Derek's new and first turned Beta, ran in, yelling for Derek. "Derek?! Derek!"

I slid up in my chair, awake, looking around, still a little bit tired, as he ran past me to the sub way station cart that was in the middle of the hideout, and Derek asked, "What's wrong?"

I got up from the chair and walked into it as Isaac said, "My dad. I think he's dead."

"What did you do?" I asked from behind him, and he turned to face me.

He looked down for a second, then back up. "That's the thing. It wasn't me."

Isaac was at school now, and while we were still in the hideout, Derek said, "Now you have to go."

"Go as in the place I know you're not telling me to go?" I avoided the question.

"You know what I mean."

"I'm not going to school."

"Look, Isaac needs someone to be there to keep an eye on him, and I can't be there every second of the day."

"Funny you say that," I said with forced curiousity, "since you're there more than me." I stood up as he walked past, and I said with a shrug, starting to back away, "and Isaac's the one you need to worry about, not me." 

"Why?" 

"Well, for one, the imending first full moon is tonight, and, for two, he just might be a suspect in a murder that could bring the town of Beacon Hills closer to the truth of the supernatural."

"I can handle the full moon, and, as crazy as it seems, I can handle the second part . . " he started to walk closer, saying as he walked around, "because remember when we were suspects in three murders?"

"Okay, that's totally different," I said as he walked past me, turning around. "A dumbass teen sold us out because he thought we were dead, when the murders were committed by our psychotic uncle. Then again, all the murders were of the people who set our house on fire and killed our family, so maybe they deserved it."

Derek looked at me with exasperation. "Just go."

"Don't think so."

Derek rolled his eyes, grabbing his jacket and heading for the door, "At least get in the damn car."

That I could listen to, walking after my brother that was also my Alpha.

I didn't ever listen to my brother before this, before he turned into an Alpha. That wasn't gonna change.

Derek had gone to watch lacrosse practice when I relaxed in the camaro, and soon, he was in the driver's side again. "The cops took Isaac."

"Kinda figured," I said. "The cells aren't that good at holding werewolves, are they, especially vicious, murderous ones on a full moon?"

"How should I know?"

"Because you were locked up in the station once."

He looked down with annoyance that I had remembered that, and I gave a small smirk, and he let out a breath. "No."

"Then we get him out."

"First, we have to get something from his house."

"What?"