Chapter 7: First Steps

"First Steps"

It had been over a month since the accident that would send my world spiraling from the brink of Hades to the realm of the living. For the first time, I was truly grateful to be alive and grew a stronger desire by the day to not only live, but thrive. As the weeks rolled by, many of my wounds had healed nicely from my chest to the bruises on my legs. However a remnant of my scar, the faint curve disc remained just above my brow. Even that was healing except...my memories.

Grandfather and Apollus would take turns filling me in on what happened the past year. They explained how my dog Shabby was sent to the villa to be trained as a guard dog. But my memory loss – as selective as it was—affected years of memories. The two reflected back on my past interests with fondness like how I liked to ride horses; an animal I now was weary of, or my interest with the bow. For the most part, Apollus tried to keep the tone positive as he would recount fun blissful moments of our shared childhood. I tried to put a face to the names of the many political figures of the island, friends, and about my mother. I learned she had died in an earthquake about eleven years, when I was only four and half years old. I tried to absorb it all like a sponge, trying to see if these shared memories could implant the ones lost. But it was not the same. It was just what they said happened. I just had to trust them. The pieces were slowly coming together, but I was still a long way off from gaining closure to my life.

One day as I lay in my bed lifting my legs up and down, I heard a knock at the doorway. The slave girl materialized under the arched doorway. But there was someone else hovering beside her. It was Romeos. What was he doing here?

"Greetings Troy." His jovial tone was noticeably subdued this time.

"Greetings. What brings you here again? I thought you would not want to come see some rude invalid who complains about his lot in life."

"I know you can play the pity card, but you have been through a lot of pains. I cannot blame you. If it was me, I would want someone to be understanding. I thought about just sending a letter," he said, shrugging. "But...it looks like you need a friend. Badly," he said trying to suppress a grin. I never realized how lonely I have been this past month. Apollus would occasionally visit me in my room but it was not the same.

"How long were we friends?" I inquired.

"You forgot that too, eh?" he said trying to hold back a chuckle. "It was at the public baths a year ago."

I nodded. "I did not want to tell you that I forgot," I said, looking down at the sheets that hung over the bed.

"Oh I see. You did not want me to feel sorry for you," Romeos said. The sight of his toothy grin, made me breathe a sigh of relief.

"Yes, that and the fact that I did not want to offend you," I admitted.

"It takes a lot to offend me. You my friend are sensitive."

"I know. I am reminded of it often. You probably know my weaknesses better than I do right now."

"True; but I know your strengths too." I smiled up at him. "By the way, you look better from last time. You look less feeble."

I flexed my arm muscles.

"The training sessions with the physician staff and Cornelius, my old trainer has helped tremendously. I have gained some of my mobility back."

He nodded. "Can you stand?"

"A little but not without wobbling. But my legs are healing though. In a few days they might remove the bandages. You were right Romeos. Thanks."