Chapter XXXXVI: Guad

ابدأ من البداية

I walk to my closet and wonder what to wear. I've begun to get used to it, wearing more than one outfit each and every day. I choose a sweater with elbow pads and this polyester coat Alice likes, because from my sliding glass door I can see today's already bringing a winter's rain.

Glancing to the glass door, I watch as the rain pounds hard on the pool. Thunder crashes and water runs rampant. The dark clouds overhead are unusual for California, I know even with my limited knowledge.

I slip my feet into combat boots and comb my hair for a second before making my way to the kitchen.

Only Perry is there this early in the morning. He's trying desperately to make scrambled eggs (I assume they're for Alice).

Although I don't mention it, it's common knowledge that Perry is a terrible cook, which is one of the reasons we eat out so often. "He must have taken Culinary without the prerequisite class," is the way Janis likes to explain it, although I don't understand what any of her words mean.

When I walk in smoke is thickly flowing up from the frying pan and I cover my face as my eyes begin to sting and water.

"Perry-" I begin. Don't chastise him, I tell myself, remembering the great mood Perry's been in for the past week.

Instead I just sit on a bar stool across from the stove and wait for the smoke to clear, listening to the rain pound the outside of the large house.

It take several minutes of me finding creative ways to continue breathing before the air is safe again.

Clicking the stove off, Perry blinks at me as if he's just noticed I'm here.

"Good morning," he says, grabbing a bowl and a cereal box. "Do you want any?"

Any what? Oh. "Cereal? No thanks. We don't have any Frosted Wheat so.." I trail off, proud of my knowledge of American language and culture.

"Actually," I say, clearing my throat, "I could use a ride into town." Obviously I've made arrangements to learn how to drive, but as of right now, the twins and Perry have been taking me everywhere. Sacramento has a bus system of course, but the closest stop isn't near here, and there's no way I'm going to walk there in the rain.

Perry glances back at me from the fridge and walks to the counter with a milk carton.

"Where do you need to go?" He asks, unscrewing the lid and beginning to pour.

For the first time I wonder if he'll mind. He's certainly familiar with the coffee shop. "Uh- the Naked Lounge?"

Milk begins to overflow the bowl of cereal and spill onto the counter. Perry's staring at me with a blank expression. All of his muscles are slack and he doesn't seem to be able to function.

"Perry!" I exclaim, reaching across the bar and pulling the carton upright. The entire counter is covered with white milk that begins to drip onto the floor.

I tear off my coat and run around the bar, grabbing a rag to clean the milk with. Perry still stands, as if frozen and petrified.

When I finished wiping the counter and floor off, he hasn't moved or made any indication to have noticed the milk.

Hesitantly, I drum my fingers on the dried counter. "I- I don't have to go. You don't need to take me."

"No!" yelps Perry, suddenly alive again. "I'll take you. I need to get coffee grounds from Mr. Perry's anyways."

He snatches his keys as I nervously put my coat back on. Maybe I should have waited for a twin to take me.

Finding a "Tiger Tennis" sweatshirt on the rack and throwing it on, he leads me to the front door.