1. An Unexpected Find

Edward's P.O.V.

Running through the muggy evening forest of Forks, Washington is peaceful. So much more peaceful than constantly reading the minds of my family members. I come to a dead stop when I catch the scent of a herd of Deer. Hunting comes naturally to me, as it would for all vampires. I take a deep breath, and smell the Deer once more, but as I do, a strange much more appetizing scent -something like Lilacs- catches my attention. I sniff at the air again and follow the Lilac smell, running at lightning speed. I come to a stop in front of a small clearing, I scan the area for whatever could be causing the appetizingly delicious smell, that's when I see it. A thin Pink blanket, in the middle of the clearing.

As I approach, I hear a soft whimper come from the blanket. My eyes go wide as I use my super speed and dart over to the blanket. A baby, a tiny helpless beautiful baby girl lays before me. I bend down and swiftly pick her up, being careful as not to scare her. Her mind is silent as I try to read it to see what she must have been thinking. She quiets down as I hold her, and stares at me in wonder with her warm chocolate Brown eyes.

"Where could you have come from?" I ask myself as I tuck the blanket around her a little tighter. The baby kicks her Right leg out of the blanket. Just as I am about to tuck the blanket back around her leg, I see it. A standard hospital bracelet, with the name of the hospital removed from the bracelet completely. It reads, "Isabella Marie Swan, September 13th, 1987". I gasp at the realization that this tiny baby, this Isabella is merely only Three days old.

I come to the decision, that I must take her home, and have Carlisle check and make sure she is healthy. Isabella shivers the tiniest bit, not enough for a human to notice but just enough for me to notice. I look down at her and notice that her lips are starting to slightly turn Blue. I forget all about my hunt and rush her back to the house.

Within seconds, I am inside the house and rushing past my family to get to Carlisle's office, I vaguely see my pixie of a sister Alice smiling ear to ear with excitement. Not bothering to knock, I burst through the door and Carlisle gives me a worried look, then he notices what I hold in my arms.

"I found her in a clearing while hunting." I say as Carlisle takes Isabella out of my arms. It felt somewhat wrong, her not being in my arms. I shake the feeling and concentrate on trying to help Carlisle the best I can. I hear the worried minds of my siblings as they all come rushing up the stairs to see what all of the commotion is about.

"Esme, would you get the heating pad? Quickly, we need to raise her body temperature." Carlisle instructs my adoptive mother who suddenly appears with the heating pad.

"Low heat, please." Carlisle says as he places tiny Isabella -who is still wrapped in the blanket- on to the heating pad.

"Maybe it's best if you wait outside, Edward." Esme suggests.

If my frozen heart could have broke at that moment, I'm sure it would have. With my head hung low, I turn and walk out of the office and the door shuts behind me once I am in the hallway. I didn't need to look up to see the looks on my siblings faces, it was clear in their minds that they were utterly confused, all except for Alice. Who shows me a vision of Isabella, smiling, sitting on the floor, with all of us around her just watching her.

I snap my head up and look at Alice with pure frustration in my Black eyes. I wasn't sure-- no, I knew she couldn't possibly stay with us, she smelled to good and she didn't need to grow up in a house full of vampires, she would become curious as to why we didn't eat or age, or why we had super speed and strength. I shake my head and rush up to my room and slam the door once I enter.

'What have you done, Edward? Out of all of the ridiculously dangerous things you could have done, you do the most dangerous. You bring a baby, a human baby at that home.' I say beating myself up over the decision to bring Isabella home and let her live, instead of just leaving her in the clearing and letting nature deal with her.

I lay on my long black leather couch and close my eyes. I know vampires can't sleep, but I just want to try and forget that I have put my family in more danger than any of us could imagine. I try and think of other things, when I hear the sound of Isabella's cries. I do my best to ignore them, and I almost get away with ignoring them, if Alice hadn't come barging in.

"She wants you." Alice simply says.

"What are you talking about?" I ask trying to push all protective feelings towards Isabella out of my mind.

"The baby, she wants you." Alice says eyeing me.

"How could you possibly know that?" I ask opening my eyes and glare at my tiny sister as she uses the term 'the baby' instead of her actual name.

"We have all tried to hold her and sooth her, but she keeps crying. It's obvious, Edward, the baby wants you." Alice says.

"Isabella." I say through clenched teeth as my breathing quickens.

"What?" Alice asks.

"Her name is Isabella, not 'the baby', Alice." I yell standing quickly and then getting up in my sisters face.

"So, you do care." Alice says a devious smirk forming across her lips.

"What? Of course I care, Alice. Why wouldn't I---?" I ask, then stop as I realize what she has done.

'You wouldn't have saved her if you didn't care.' Alice tells me matter of factly with her mind.

"You're impossible." I say as I walk passed her and out of my room.

'You still love me though.' Alice says through her mind. I slowly make my way back downstairs to Carlisle's office. Preparing myself physically and mentally to calm Isabella. I push my thirst to the back of my mind, as to not lose control when I start to smell her overly appetizing scent.

As I reach the office, the rest of my siblings are standing outside along either side of the door way, thinking all sorts of things.

'Can we keep her, Edward?' Emmett asks and looks at me with big puppy dog like eyes.

'All of us have already grown attached. No matter how many times you try and deny it, you know you are attached to her as well.' Rosalie growls, giving me her best death glare type of look.

'She has no one else, Edward. And I doubt you want to put her in an orphanage.' Jasper says, and I suddenly feel a sort of calm fall over me, I glare at Jasper as I walk into Carlisle's office.

Carlisle and Esme hover over a tiny incubator, Isabella's cries become louder as she is becoming impatient. They turn their gazes to me as I approach.

'You found her in the knick of time. A couple of more minutes out there, and she wouldn't have made it.' Carlisle tells me with his mind as I step into Isabella's line of sight. Once she see's me, her eyes get big, her cries quiet down and she begins to coo as all baby's do.

'Well, she sure has taken a liking to you, Edward.' Esme says through her mind smiling at me, as I carefully pick Isabella up out of the incubator and cradle her in my arms, she doesn't react to my cold skin, it's almost as if she is used to it.

"You didn't want me to leave, did you? It's alright now, I'm here. And your safe, Bella." I mindlessly say to her and the corners of her lips turn up into a tiny smile.

"So, does this mean we get to keep her?" Emmett's booming voice echoes into the office.

"The decision is, Edward's to make. He found her, so he gets the final say." Esme says a hint of anxiety coloring her voice.

I keep my eyes on Bella and weigh the good and the bad about this all too difficult decision. With my decision made, I turn around and face my family.

Before I can get a word out, Alice is already bouncing up and down squealing her tiny head off. I look at each of my family members, who are all smiling from ear to ear, and voice my decision.

"Yes, we can keep her." I say, a smile settling on my lips.

"Woohoo! Welcome to the family Bella!" Emmett booms, speeding into the office and scooping Bella out of my arms and holding her high in the air.

'Yes, welcome to this very special, yet sometimes dysfunctional family, Bella.' I think to myself and watch as Bella is passed around from one family member to another.