Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Where to?" Jim asked.

"Back roads, up through Hailsdown," he said, his breaths coming quickly, sweat beading on his forehead.

The car screamed up the gravel drive, its' unmade surface making the ride choppy and uncomfortable. Hannah felt nauseous already, but now she really did feel like she was going to be sick.

"Will they be okay, Zeke?" she asked, more concerned for their safety than her own.

"They'll be fine, Hannah. They're headed away from town to another safe house. Right now it us I am more concerned about!"

Hannah looked back, the cottage was now out of sight and the hedging and tree that once looked protective now appeared dominating and oppressive.

"What the f...!" shouted Jim as the car skidded to a halt; the smell of burning tyres filled the car. Hannah turned to face the front, but could only just make out a car in front of them, obscured by the dust kicked up by the tyres.

"Hannah, stay here," Zeke ordered. He took out a hand gun from his inside jacket pocket and jumped out of the car, the door opened with such force, that the momentum caused it to close itself. Zeke disappeared into the brown cloud.

"Who is it, Jim?" she asked.

"You don't want to know," he replied flatly.

The dust cloud quickly dissipated.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Hannah shouted. There sat in the car in front of her, talking to Zeke through the open window was Scott. Both the men looked pretty angry at each other, Zeke especially. But then he turned ran back to the car, opened Hannah's door and pulled her out.

"Jim, you head back as planned, we are going to find an alternate route. Any problems abandon the car and get out of dodge."

Jim nodded and Zeke closed the door.

"Hannah, I haven't time to explain, just get in the car and do whatever he tells you."

Zeke's voice was stern and Hannah knew not to question his decision. She got into the back seat and Zeke got in beside her. He rested the gun on his knee.

"Hannah," said Scott and gave her a grim smile in the rear view mirror.

"Scott," she replied back. Her voice was now trembling, her body chilled.

Scott moved the lever into reverse and the car lurched backwards, the engine whined, pleading with its' driver to slow down. After a couple of hundred yards, Scott shouted, "hold on" and he swung the car round where the road suddenly widened, so it was now facing forwards. He pushed the lever forward to drive and they pulled away, the force of the acceleration pushing Hannah into the back of her seat. She grabbed at the door handle, making her knuckles go white. She turned to see Jim in the other car travelling equally fast and very close behind them. A sudden bright flash and a loud explosion shook the windows and Hannah felt the car shudder. From the direction of the cottage came a black mushroom cloud of smoke, rising high into the air and she could make out tall flames shooting skyward above the tree line.

"Oh well, at least you did something right today. Zeke," Scott said and then laughed.

Zeke said nothing, but his jaw clenched tightly. The car soon reached the junction with the main road and they turned towards town. Jim's car turned in the opposite direction and sped off.

"There is a blanket behind you. Get it out and when I say, duck down, pull it over yourselves and for god's sake don't make a sound."

Hannah reached over and grabbed the blanket and shook it open. They travelled at the same speed for several minutes and then the car started to slow.

"Now," shouted Scott.

Hannah dropped herself into the foot well and Zeke sprawled out across the back seat, pulling the blanket over the pair of them.

The car came to a stop and Scott got out. Hannah could make out voices in the near distance.

"What are you doing here, sir, shouldn't you be resting up?"

"I'm fine. Just on my way to unit 37, but I got the call on the radio. Any sign of the car?"

"No, sir. Reports are coming in of a fire in one of the Cottages, but nothing else. Wild goose chase, I reckon. Some idiot got nothing better to do."

"That may be, but remain vigilant. If you find anything, let me know."

"Yes, sir."

A moment later, Scott got back in the car. "Ouch," he groaned, "damn leg".

He started the engine and drove slowly off.

"We should be able to get you back for your meeting with Briggs on time. Okay, you can sit up now."

Zeke pulled removed the blanket up and sat upright. Hannah inched her way out of the foot well, her muscles aching.

"Is someone going to tell me why you two have been meeting with our most wanted criminal?"