Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

Zeke reached and took her free hand and gave it a squeeze. Hannah looked away.

"Cecily was so kind to me and put me back together. You see my mother and father had died many years ago and I had no one else, no siblings, and no girlfriend. Just a scared boy, doing a man's job and one day I woke up to find I was unable to do even the most basic things for myself. I swore to her then, that if she ever needed anything I would be there for her. I didn't expect the call to come so quickly."

"So how did you get Cecily away?" Hannah asked. Zeke surprised her, he'd said more in the last few minutes than at any time since their first meeting in the lift. Normally he was self-assured, however right now he seemed vulnerable. She liked him more because of it.

"Cecily contacted me. I told her to try to hide herself and I would be there as soon as I could. It wasn't easy, but once the battle was over, only a couple of guards remained and I managed to go round the back and help get her out. I took her back to mine and she stayed there out of sight for a few weeks."

"But what about Nancy's husband? Wasn't he asleep in the house?"

"When the shooting started Hannah, John rushed out of the house to see what was going on. Later they told me that it was a stray bullet that killed him. He never even knew I was hiding in his home and that I had sent Nancy to her death. The decisions I made that night haunt me to this day and will forever be on my conscience." Cecily closed her eyes tightly and gripped onto the arm of the chair.

"But..."

The door flew open and Jim burst in.

"There is a unit headed this way. We have to go. Now!"

Zeke jumped up. "Okay. Hannah you bring Cecily, Jim go get Mary and the kids. Cecily, are your bags ready as we won't have time to pack."

"They're always packed Zeke. Go through the bedroom just there, you will find them in the wardrobe. Come Hannah, nothing to worry about dear, this is something one grows quite accustomed to over the years. We can continue our conversation another time."

Hannah helped Cecily up out of the chair, grabbed her cane and quickly but carefully left the cottage. Zeke flew out behind them with two big holdalls. The noise of a car engine firing up behind the cottage startled Hannah, her nerves very much fraying by the second. The car came around the side to where they were waiting, driven by a dark- haired man.

"Zeke, who is that?" Hannah asked, surprised to see somebody else. She thought he looked familiar but couldn't place his face.

"Not now Hannah."

Mary, the kids and the dog came running up. Zeke opened one of the back doors and threw in the bags into the back of the estate car. The dog bounded in after and jumped over the seats into the back, barking excitedly. Mary looked over to Hannah wearing a mask of concern.

"Mary, please go quickly, for the kids," Hannah shouted.

Mary nodded and ushered the children into the back with her, both of them crying, their little hands waving sadly at her. Zeke walked Cecily over to the car and opened the front seat. He gave her a quick hug and she got in. The minute her door closed, Zeke had to take a leap backwards as the rear wheels of the car spun; throwing out gravel in all directions and the car sped off.

"Hannah, get in the car. I have to go back for something," he said and ran off back into the cottage.

Hannah climbed into rear of the car, which Jim had already turned around and now faced forward.

"Where is he?" Jim shouted to her, his voice taught.

"I don't know? He just ran back into the cottage. Look, there he is!" Hannah breathed a little easier now she saw Zeke fast approaching the car, but it did little to make her feel any less scared. Zeke ran around the car and jumped in. The car pulled off and Zeke's door slammed shut.