Chapter Four

"What is this place? Why does it seem so out of spirit?" Steph asks, looking around and taking in the environment.

"This is the Mist Woods...didn't you know we were coming here? Cody throws down his bags and the horse stands near the corner.

"I just didn't think we'll get here so fast."

He scoffs eyeing her wound.

The small cave is big enough to fit them both. Brown walls that is mainly exposed to the outside. The fire allows the shadows to come alive on those walls, with the air smelling of burnt wood.

"Sit down before you pass out. I don't need someone to faint and get so troublesome-"

"Troublesome? As in a burden." Steph cuts him off after she sits down on a flat rock inside the cave.

"Yes a burden..." His eyes show guilt after those words came rolling out his tongue, even so, those words vexed Steph and she couldn't help but feel sad and angry.

"I mean-"

"What happens if it was Brian...?" Steph says, emotionlessly.

"What...?"

"If Brian fainted or needed to be carried.... If Brian got sick and needed to be token care of? Are you going to leave him?! Because he was too troublesome to be token care of? And because its such a burden to have him here?!" Steph's shouting when she reaches the end of her sentence. She inhales before continuing in a quieter tone.

"I can't believe your the leader of this team, it's probably because there isn't anyone better!" Steph pauses, "why do you have to be so cruel and emotionless....?"

Cody twitches, caught off guard by the last question that's never answered by him.

"Steph-"

"I'm sorry I had to be a burden of yours, believe me it was unintentional. I didn't choose to be a burden, it was the King's order... And as you warned me before... I wouldn't be able to keep my head if I don't become your burden, Cody."

He twitches at the mention of his name. Steph glances away from him. She knows it's babyish, she knows that she probably looks like a child angry at her parents, but she did it anyways.

He sits down in front of Steph. Eyes soft with sympathy, a green nature nursery for broken hearts.

"Steph, I'm sorry about my outburst...it's just-"

"Just what?"

Steph regrets for being so rude with Cody but she can't help it, especially when she hates being a burden of someone. She wants to be strong, she wants to be like Wren. Even her appearance is strong and convincing.

"Let me take a look at your arm..." He diverts the subject. Steph knows he doesn't want to continue with whatever he mentioned and she doesn't push him. Curiosity is pushing her to but she holds the thought. There is only one thing she definitely knows.

He has a secret to hide and he's not the only one.

---

The morning snow-like rain falls so elegant and quietly as if it isn't even falling. Some parts of the mist woods in the morning seems so peaceful without any dangers lurking around.

Steph's body moves at the horse's walk, watching the rain hitting the soft green grass. The gentle rain is smoothing them with its invisible fingertips, as if caring for them to grow in the future.

Wren is quiet throughout the whole ride, she didn't make any conversation with Steph even when they're sharing the same horse. In fact, it wasn't just Wren, everyone was quiet. Was it shock? Or was it fear? No, these people feared nothing, not like her.