Unexpected: Captivated

Chris

"This is f*cking crazy. No, we're not going to a park miles away to get some 'fresh air'. There's one right around the corner if you want to jog so bad." Sam stood before my car and jiggled the keys in front of my face.

Dad chuckled as he wheeled around the front yard, getting his morning air. Rock and Sandy yelped together to get our attention. They were getting restless. Like me.

"Just get out of my hair, Sam. If you don't want to come with me, don't. I don't need a lecturing body guard when I'm in need of my supportive best friend." I chided, knowing I'd hit the right nerve. His jaw twitched as expected.

"I'm not supportive just because I care for your safety?" he bellowed and dad laughed louder. It was so easy to rattle this guy.

"Sammy, it's like five in the morning. I'll be back in an hour, I promise." I stepped forward with a smile, but he straightened his back, and crossed his arms.

"Oh yeah, I know you'll be back as soon as that girl leaves the park. Why are you so fixated on that chick, dude? It's been a week already," he tilted his head with a smirk, "and she isn't even pretty, Mike."

My eyes narrowed, "Did anyone ask for your fu*king opinion? Don't listen to him, dad. She is beautiful... she's something else. Her smile's out of this world. She has the most stunning, haunting eyes, and she's just-

Sam's laughter boomed so loud, a few dogs started barking in the neighborhood. It took all of my self-restraint not to punch him. Besides I couldn't afford to break my fingers punching the brute, "Samuel Jennings can't appreciate real beauty anymore because he's been dating too many Barbie dolls."

To my surprise, Sam's face split into a shit-eating grin and he raised both hands in mock-surrender. "Ooh... my bad that I've dated some intelligent, funny, and beautiful women in the last couple of years. Unlike you, who's been dating...hmm..." he tapped his middle finger on his chin, "...let me think, Chrissie, umm... what's that? No one! Not even one soul since last year's drama." He slung his arm around my shoulder, ignoring my death glare.

"Oh, and news flash Mr. Taylor, you're not dating that chick from the park either. In fact, you don't even know her name. You just stare at her like a creep and every time you get close, she runs faster, and farther away." Sam whispered the last part, wiggling his fingers in the air. His smile widened when I failed to retort back.

"You know she's runnin' out the door... she's runnin'... she runs, runs, runs.... coz you're a creep. You're a weirdo... oohhh..." Sam sang, destroying Radiohead and dad was ready to fall off his wheelchair, clutchingthe armrests. He always loved it when Sam tormented me, even when we were kids.

"Are you done?" I pushed him away, snatching my car keys in the process.

Sam sighed but didn't back away from the car, "Have you considered that she might be avoiding you on purpose? May be she doesn't like Chris Taylor, the rude, loud, potty mouthed musician with filthy long hair."

"My hair? You think that's the problem?" I sniffed my open hair and quickly tied it. It wasn't so bad. Okay, so I hadn't washed it in like three days, but I didn't smell like a wet dog. Yet.

Sam looked up the sky with his arms wide open and muttered incoherent words in response, then ran his hand through the short crop of his black curls.

He was just a jealous bastard. A very dramatic jealous bastard.

I had to step back when he finally looked at me. Damn, he was on that protective big brother mode again. "This is getting borderline unhealthy, Chris. You're a twenty six year old man, not some psycho teenager getting obsessed over a crush. What if you never see her again? What if you find out that she is married or something? "