Arizona Coyotes #5: Connor Muprhy

requested by @Pilar1209

You had about fifteen minutes left on your 30 minute break. You were a barista at Starbucks so life was good when you got free stuff on your breaks. You looked up from your phone when someone cleared their throat above you.

"There's, um, no other tables open and I really need to type something..." The interruptor said nervously. You smiled at him.

"You can go ahead and sit. I wasn't using the table anyway." You obliged. He smiled and set his laptop and bag down on the table in front of you and sat down in the chair across from you. He looked familiar but you weren't one to start conversations with complete strangers.

It was silent, other than the strangers constant and steady typing. Your break timer went off, warning you that you had 5 minutes left until you had to go back to work.

"What was that?" The stranger asked, eyeing the timer.

"Oh, I'm on break right now and we use these to track our time." You wiggled the timer in your hand and set it back down. He sat back in his chair, only then did you really look at his face.

He had clear light eyes and short strawberry blonde hair. The stubble on his chin alluded to the fact that he was always busy. Or lazy.

"You work here?" He asked, his eyebrows raising. His tone was tinted with impressment.

"Yeah. But usually not this early. I actually have to go to something tonight that I've been anticipating and I don't know why I'm telling you this!" You laughed nervously. He also laughed.

"It's okay. I could use a break from this paper anyway. Tell me more about this anticipated event." The stranger closed his laptop, and leaned forward, giving you his full attention.

You told him about the Coyotes game you were going to with your friend, it was the last home game of the season and you couldn't wait to cheer on your team. The stranger's eyes widened as you talked more and more about the Coyotes and your love for hockey.

"Are you okay? Sorry for babbling..." You asked, feeling a little embarrassed.

"No...I'm ok. I'm just surprised you didn't recognize me." He said. You narrowed your eyes at him and shook your head.

"I really don't."

"Well, in that case..." He stuck out his hand and you shook it. "I'm Connor Murphy. #5 of the Arizona Coyotes."

Your eyes widened as it came to you. He was the American defenseman you had briefly thought was cute when he was called up from the Springfield Falcons a couple years ago.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry, I feel so embarrassed!" You stood up, hurriedly gathering your stuff.

"Woah, woah, where are you going?" Connor asked, looking up at you with disappointment in his eyes.

"I have to go back to work." You said flatly, the nerves about to eat you alive.

"At least tell me your name." He said, standing up and moving closer to you.

"(y/n)." You said before rushing off to put on your hat and apron.

***

"I can't believe you met him, and you didn't even recognize him!" (y/f/n) said as you two entered the arena. It was the only thing you could think about since you got off work.

It was the most embarrassing thing to meet one of your favorite players and not recognize them.

You found your seats, three rows from the ice, and sat down, waiting for the game to start. You and (y/f/n) chatted about the teams and how they compared to each other; you thought the Coyotes were going to lose since they were playing their rival: the Flames.

The steady stream of conversation was interrupted by the horn sounding and the Coyotes being introduced onto the ice; warmups had begun.

The players skated around the rink, not glancing once at the fans in the stands until all of them had gotten one shot in. Then, they went to work on practice their hands. Domi did his usual puck bump while the fans counted and when he was finished he tossed a puck to a child, who giggled in delight.

That was when you saw Connor and Tinordi, playing a little game of keep away with Stone. (y/f/n) nudged you but you were already staring at him, not sure if you wanted him to see you.

"(y/n), he's waving at you." (y/f/n) whispered. You shook your head and broke out of your trance to see Connor waving and smiling at you. He held up a finger, as if asking you to hold on, and went over to the bench. He grabbed a sharpie from the trainer and a puck. He scribbled something down on the puck and skated back over to Tinordi, who had been watching him, not knowing what was happening. Connor pointed at you and the people sitting in front of you whipped their heads around to look at you. A teenage girl narrowed her eyes at you but you ignored her.

The next thing you knew, a puck was flying straight at you and you caught it before it hit your head. You turned it over in your hands to find what he had written: I wanted to get to know you, but you ran away...so here's my number. Call me after the game.

You looked up at him to find that he had already continued his game of keep away but he glanced at you and winked.

***

You called Connor up after the game, you and (y/f/n) were sitting on your apartment floor in your living room.

"What if he doesn't answer?" you asked, giving her one earphone so she could listen in.

"Just relax, if he likes you-"

"Hello?" Connor answered, interrupting (y/f/n). You widened your eyes at her and vigorously shook your head, about to hang up. She punched your arm and motioned for you to answer.

"Hello?" He asked again. You gulped and took a breath.

"Hi, is this Connor?" You asked shakily.

"It is. Hi, (y/n), I'm glad you called." You could ear him smiling on the other side.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"I recognize your voice."

"We only talked for like three minutes."

"I know, and that's the problem. I can't get your voice, or you for that matter, out of my head." Connor said. (y/f/n) hit you, about to burst from her excitement. You didn't know what to say so you stayed silent.

"I didn't scare you away again, did I?" Connor laughed into the phone.

"No, I just didn't know what to say..." You admitted, chuckling nervously.

"Then say that you'll go out with me tomorrow. Around 8pm. I'll pick you up if you send your address." You could hear the nerve in Connor's voice and you smiled, knowing that he was nervous too made you feel slightly more confident.

"Then it's a date."