Next Day

Sonic's p.o.v

'Keep running!!' I told myself in my head. He was right on my tail, that damn Hood. I heard Scourge cheer for him in the distance as he held Jet and Silver captive in headlocks. I ran for the main building the doors almost in reach, when suddenly I was blocked by solid chest in a white shirt. At my speed, when I ran into him I would have thought I could have run him over, but instead it was just like slapping myself against a brick wall. I landed on my back hard grunting as my breath was knocked out of me. I didn't even have the cushion of my backpack to break my fall; I had thrown it to the side when the chase began so I could be lighter and run faster. (Though it didn't help at all.) The bell rings to be in class at 9 o clock. Its 8:45 right now, I would be SO late. And not only will that be reported to my track coach, it would probably worry Miss Rose. I didn't want to make her worry. Shadow stood over me, the palm of his hand dug into my chest sending a sharp pain through my body and I screamed. 

"You know how much I hate track in the mornings?" He growled lifting me up Scourge came to his side still holding Jet and Silver (squirming with all their might) in a head lock. 

"What do you want Shadow!? I didn't do anything!" I yelled at him frustrated and now lifted off the ground. 

"Just to remind you that little miss teacher lady, isn't going to stop me. And you better watch it next time, or they'll be searching for the mysterious disappearance of the all star track member." He said closely in my ear in a hot whisper. It made me cringe, his voice so deep it almost felt as if his words were actually nipping on my skin, and in stung like a bee. 

"Same goes for you two, got it?" Scourge hissed down at Jet and Silver who now stopped squirming, weather it been from fear or fatigue I couldn't really tell. Could they even hear what they were agreeing too?? The both nodded anyway and waited for the tight grip around their necks to be let go. But Scourge only did so when Shadow carelessly dropped me back to the ground. I stumbled back and fell again with a thud and grunted in pain, swearing words that didn't even exist inside my head as the dark bully smirked over me shoving his hands in his pockets. I hear the grunts of Jet and Silver as they were dropped too.

"Get your stuff you pathetic run around and get out of here before you're too late for class. Wouldn't want the news getting to Coach now would we?" Shadow said in almost a demonic voice. Well maybe not but the last statement was enough for me to picture the forked tail and horns. 

"Oohh Sonic the Hedgehog, SKIPPING a CORE class at that! Tisk tisk, that's a one way ticket off the team for sure." Scourge taunted fixing his shades on his nose flashing that sharp snaggle tooth grin. They walked off in a laugh amongst themselves. 

"Damn I really hate those guys…" I heard Silver whine as he got to his feet and rubbed his neck. 

"That's it, I'm taking up boxing! Then I can beat the living-" 

I stopped Jet before he could finish, "Hey, come on guys we can't become bullies ourselves." 

"Why the hell not!? We're not being bullies, we'll be defending ourselves!" Jet threw a fist in the air. 

"I don't know, the fantasy of sweet revenge, catching those two off guard and giving them the beat down of their life is way too tempting." Silver said almost guilty for admitting it, but spoke out our entire silent dream. He held out his hand levitating our bags and books back to us.

"Why don't we do that!? Silver you hold em down with your telek-whateverness, and Sonic and I will beat em to a pulp!" Jet said threw grit teeth, his eyes kinda looked insane. 

Silver shook his head and pulled back his ears, "No I couldn't do that. Besides we'd get in trouble for it later with the school and parents. But I would like to see them at least cry…" 

"Fine you bunch of sissies." Jet grumbled swinging his back pack over his shoulder and stomped away from us. Silver and I shared a glance at each other both with concern. Jet might have just had it with the two, and if he couldn't get revenge, suicide was the most common avenue taken amongst students like us. Strange, I would have definably thought Silver to have broken under this pressure. Not saying he's weak, he just seems to bottle up his emotions from everyone and put on the 'perfect angel' act. (Yeah we guys can do it too.) Besides if Jet had gotten a good beating on them, they could be amazed and actually welcome him in the group of bullies!!

"Jet, you're not going to try to take them down by yourself are you?" I asked as Silver and I followed behind.

"No… Besides those bastards have an advantage, Scourge's speed and Shadow's Chaos control, PLUS the number of guys on their side out way us by a million." He said sadly. 

"It's okay." Silver said with false hopefulness in his tone, "It'll be over soon and we'll be off to college and jobs!"

"Yeah, if we don't get beat into a coma before we graduate." Jet grumbled as we walked up the stairs to our class. We went up silently, my eyes glancing at the clock and my stomach suddenly refused to digest the rest of my breakfast. I was late… for maybe the first time in my life! Miss Rose was going to think I was out tagging the campus or getting drunk or maybe high! I began to sweat with nervousness as we neared the door. Jet went in first pushing the door open and sluggishly dragged his feet inside. Silver gave me a quick smile, maybe telling me to calm down as he went in next. I stayed outside the door, I froze. I was listening inside to the conversation of why they were late. 

Shadow and Scourge must have been attending class, because they answered something similar to, "My parent's had car trouble. I slept in late." 

"Is Sonic coming?" I heard Miss Rose ask and my heart suddenly dropped to my feet. The more I stood out here the later and tardy I became!! But I couldn't go in and face her!! I couldn't LIE either!! My head started to spin and I felt the sudden urge to rush to the bathroom. Couldn't I have gotten hit by a car on the way to school? Anything was better than this! 

While I was lost in my panic I didn't know the door opened and Miss Rose stepped out looked directly into my eyes.

"Sonic? Dear are you alright? You look terrible, are you sick?" She asked with sincere concern, her cool hand touched my forehead lightly. Gosh now I was blushing. Maybe she would excuse my tardiness if I said I was sick and went to the nurse. It wouldn't be so much of a lie, I did feel sick now. Really, really sick. Her eyes suddenly held slight shock as she touched the side of my cheek where I realized it was really soar. I flinched but more with surprise at the pain and put my hand in the same spot rubbing it lightly.

"Ow…" I mumbled looking down thinking to myself. It must have been when I rammed myself into Shadow. Damn hood…

"What happened?!" She asked in a squeak.

I couldn't make a simple lie about being late, and yet I quickly came up with a lie to cover the stupid ass. I knew if I actually told what happened, I might have to be relocated to another school just to keep me alive.

"Oh, must have been when I fell out of bed this morning!" I said pushing aside my sickening feeling from being late and pushed on a smile. It hurt when my cheeks lifted but I pushed through it. She looked at me; you know that look you give when the abused wife tells the cop she just 'ran into the door'? Yeah I got that look and it made me nervous again.

"Sonic are you-"

"I'm fine! Really I fell out of bed this morning! You should have heard my little brother laughing at me; he thought it was a riot." I said even acting out a small chuckle as I pictured Tails taking a running start onto my bed and waking me up really loud and laughing when I 'fell out of bed'. Of course Tails wouldn't laugh when he saw the bruise, but she didn't know that. 

Then she gave me that, 'I don't believe you but I'll buy it, for now' look before changing the subject to why I was late. Crap… My brain froze, and my mouth was left gaping open with halted breath. My eyes searched the hallway as if there would be an answer on the wall. Her foot started tapping and she crossed her arms. What could I say?? Why couldn't the lie come just as easy? 

"Did you sleep in too?" She asked now the look of 'Not believing anything you say' glared threw her emerald eyes.

"Not exactly…" I said bowing my head, "It wasn't my fault that's all I can tell you."

"Sonic if Shadow and Scourge is giving you trouble, all three of you trouble you should let me know." She said like a mother would to her child. I know I should, but what happens when we're off campus and away from teachers and school security eyes?? Yeah I'm dead that's what will happen. And I knew it, because it almost happened before. 

"No Miss." I shook my head, "I mean if they were I would tell you promi—" I quickly stopped myself. I've always kept a promise and if I promised I'd tell her when they were bothering us, I would be breaking it. "They weren't bothering us. That's all." I finished. She sighed letting her arms drop at her side while one stayed up on her hip.

"Alright, I'll let this tardy go, but don't let it happen again. Okay?" She said now putting on her friendly smile. The weight of the world suddenly lifted from my shoulders and I felt like I could fly. 

"Really!? Oh thank you Miss Rose!! Thank you!!" I threw my arms up and grabbed her in a hug. 
She laughed, it was so cute… and she even hugged me back, softly though. And it was good enough, because any tighter and I would have felt the tenderness of a new bruise starting from where Shadow's palm dug into my chest. I ran back into class with Miss Rose following behind me. 

I saw a glance of Shadow resting sloppily at his desk. His chair tilted on the back legs his back resting on Scourge like a lounging chair and his feet propped up on the desk. He smirked and gave me a wave as I hurried into my seat trying to ignore their presents in the back.