Mistletoe

As Bilbo, Fili and Kili sat out in the sunshine on the terrace above the Gate of the Lonely Mountain, the sound of commotion came from below. They all stood up, Fili relying on Bilbo's arm, and went over to the parapet to investigate. There was a horse-drawn cart coming on the road from Dale, filled with what appeared to be evergreen shrubs. The cart was being driven by two Mirkwood elves. Another one was riding before it.

"Tauriel!" said Kili breathlessly as he recognized the elf in front. Then he flashed a sun-filled grin to Bilbo and Fili and bolted down the stairs, having seemingly forgotten all about his battle wounds even if they had not yet forgotten him.

Bilbo stared after him, then looked back to Fili, who raised a mischievous eyebrow. "Let's follow," he said. "I can't miss this for the world."

Grateful for an opportunity to feel less serious about life in general, Bilbo lent Fili his arm. It would have made for an easier descent of the stairs that led down to the Gate than relying fully on his crutches would have allowed. And it gave Bilbo time to appreciate his company and to think of how unlike that darkest time of the year Fili and his brother were. Their very presence, still youthful and lively even after they had faced war and death, was the living proof that darkness was only a veil under which light gathered strength.

By the time they walked out into the open, the cart had stopped and several dwarves had gathered around it. Tauriel had dismounted, and she was talking to Kili. She smiled and bowed her head slightly as she caught sight of Bilbo and Fili.

"Very glad to see you both again," she said, in her lithe, silvery voice that reminded Bilbo of why he loved the Elves.

"We're glad to see you!" replied Fili.

"Yes, yes, quite," added Bilbo. "I trust you're all right, after the battle and all."

"I am, thank you."

"What, uh-" began Fili, looking at the cart.

"Oh, I was just telling Kili that our King wanted to send you some decorations for the Yuletide feast. We know that the dragon has destroyed everything outside the mountain, so we thought it would be welcome. We have a lot of evergreen we can spare. There is also a log under there."

"The Elvenking is very generous," said Fili, suddenly sounding solemn. "You must relay our thanks to him."

"Of course, I will," said Tauriel with another gentle bow of her head.

All around them, dwarves had begun to carry armloads of evergreen inside the mountain and slowly a great, long tree trunk was revealed at the bottom of the cart. Bilbo recognized the bark to be that of an ash tree. As he followed the course of the log inside the mountain, his gaze fell upon Dain, who was coming out towards them. Behind him walked Gloin, carrying a large box in his arms.

Dain nodded to everyone, then gestured for Gloin to come forward. Gloin opened the box, revealing a wreath of gold and precious stones. "A small gift for King Thranduil," said Dain, looking at Tauriel with restrained courtesy. "As a token of our gratitude," he continued, and Bilbo thought he could hear him grit his teeth.

"Thank you, Lord Dain," said Tauriel, affecting a good disposition more convincingly. "I am sure King Thranduil will appreciate it." Then she gestured to her companions to collect the box from Gloin. "May I ask how King Thorin is feeling? My Lord Thranduil would welcome news of his recovery."

"He's well," replied Dain, with a thin smile. "He is not yet fully recovered, but he is getting there."

Tauriel bowed her forehead lower this time.