Chapter XXXXV: Janis

Start from the beginning

He pulls his feet our and I see how red and disgusting they are. What if this has caused permanent damage?

I dash forward finally, embracing his bare, scarred torso. Tenderly, I wipe away the tears on his face, kissing a few of them. "It's going to be okay now, we're going home."

From the doorway, Ashton watches us with unexpected sympathy. Here we are, the whole squad just a group of teenagers, each of them breaking apart.

"C'mon. We must get a HEXA car and leave immediately. We can take the tracking device off. That won't take long," he tells us. He and Guad lift Bob and carry him so he doesn't have to walk on his scalded feet.

The trip to get a car is short but also a blur. All I remember is somber and hasty walking, Bob asking where Diana is, Perry crying, and us getting into a large SUV in a huge hanger.

Ashton takes the tracking device out quickly and offers to drive and no one objects. He and Guad take the front, Bob and I climb in the back, and the rest take the middle row.

The sound of the ignition is alien and nice leather seats confuse me as we smoothly pull out onto the highway towards Sacramento. No one shoots at us, no jungle birds caw above our heads. Why?

Am I safe? Is this what safety feels like?

No one says anything in response to what I think in my mind.

I finally take my bulletproof vest and chuck it in the back, my already ruined t-shirt soaked to my skin in sweat. My breaths are still shaky and I expect a HEXA henchman to fly in through the roof and start shooting at us. It has to come any second now.

For several minutes I stare intensely at the ceiling, waiting for the guard to come in. I keep my hand on my gun, ready to pull it out at any second.

But no one ever comes in. Ashton plays the symphony channel and we glide beneath the stars. Should I take my hand off my gun? Slowly, I do and try to breathe deeply.

For the first time in so long, I'm not feeling like I'm running from something. I start to feel like I'm moving towards something so much better.

Hesitantly, I lay my head on Bob's bare shoulder and he wraps a scarred and barcoded arm around me. Feel better, Bob. Fall asleep, I plead. Let your wounds heal.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I'm dead tired.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning and my bones burn in pain.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning and no one aims a gun at me.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning, and I'm finally safe.

When we wake up we're in the parking lot of an apartment complex. The sun is beginning to crawl up the rooftops of the suburbs to say high. Palm trees sway and a chilly, late winter breeze brushes the car.

I don't recognize the place, but Perry obviously does.

"You're the one who gave me the address," Ashton reminds the boy, who is beginning to look emotional at the sight of what I guess is the home he shared with Diana.

He unbuckles his seatbelt. "It's just- she was supposed to return with me," he mutters, as if hoping no one will hear.

Ashton nods. I've thought of him as unfeeling, stone, and cold. But right now his electric eyes are watching Perry with understanding. "Do you mind if we come in, mate?"

A nod from Perry.

It's quite a process getting us all out. We have to lower the middle row to get room enough to put Guad's combat boots from HEXA on Bob's scalded feet. Even still he winces as he puts them on and walks in. He leans on me to support (probably not the best choice when we have three able bodied men instead).