The Warrior Prince

Chapter 1

                                                                   (This is my story and I own all rights.)

The sun was rising as King Mateen stood on his bedroom balcony looking out over his kingdom. He was pleased to know that more than one enemy suffered in his dungeon. While the king was powerful so were his sons, a quality which he took credit for. His wife, gentle and obedient, was not strong. The king considered her weak. He was grateful that trait had not been inherited, however her beauty had been.

The king sighed. It was time his heir took a wife. In truth he should have before now. Prince Lothar was a fierce warrior and the king enjoyed allowing his son to conquer kingdoms on his behalf. He allowed his son as much freedom where women were concerned for as long as possible. Besides if something did happen he had three other sons.

"Your majesty?"

The king looked back to see his faithful subject Veda. "Yes Veda? What news do you bring me?"

"Duncan is gathering allies to move against you," The short man replied.

"Then it's time to acquire his kingdom and squash any thoughts of others uniting against us," Prince Lothar said entering the balcony.

The king looked at his eldest son and knew the prince was more than ready and willing to go into battle. "Yes, perhaps it is," The king agreed. "Take them captive but do not kill the royal family."

"Father?" Prince Balin said surprised as he too entered the balcony with his brother others. "You want them to live?"

"Don't misunderstand Balin, Duncan will die, but not before he suffers at my hand," King Mateen announced. "You will lead the assault," He told his oldest son. Lothar smiled smugly pleased.

"The rest that stand against us, we kill," Balin announced.

"Don't just go in there mindlessly slaughtering like some wild savage, Balin," The King said becoming annoyed. "I know you enjoy the sight of blood, but it is pointless to kill those who surrender. We could use some more slaves." Looking at the heir to the Zandell throne he said, "Besides you might all find some pretty thing to entertain you for a time." Balin gave a single nod understanding the intent.

"So we kill only those that stand against us," Prince Garrick questioned.

"Don't kill the women or children unless necessary. You may kill any man that stands against you and those not useful as a slave," The King of Zandell said without concern.

"As you command," Prince Lothar replied. The three princes bowed and left their father's presence.

Prince Lothar walked through the halls of the castle emitting an aura that screamed conqueror. Men immediately fell in behind him and headed for the stables.

"Gideon, prepare to leave," The prince ordered. The warrior bowed and quickly headed to gather those the prince always took with him. Lothar prepared himself ensuring his weapons were ready and checked on his faithful horse Ares.

The Black horse stomped upon seeing him and the prince smirked. "Ready to conquer another kingdom?" The horse snorted. "I am as well."

Preparations were made and the prince and his troops headed out. Others would soon follow. The prince liked to personally scout his target.