Return to Neverland (2)

When I noticed Lacey scowling at me once I got home from school, I couldn't help but feel confused and even a little creeped out by the fact she just kept staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked, though the last thing I wanted to do was help her with anything.

"That shirt is so ugly," she informed me, as if her opinion was something I cared about.

I stared at her flatly. "Thanks."

My lack of response seemed to anger her, which is always did when I didn't let her negative attitude and mean words get to me, which was about ninety-nine percent of the time. The only time I could remember actually getting upset over something she said to me was when it was about my father.

"Actually, your entire outfit is atrocious," she continued, and I just rolled my eyes. But she wasn't done. "And what makes you think that hairstyle is a good idea? Or the way you did your makeup? You're just pretty ugly all around, Ebony."

"I'm just surprised you know what the word atrocious means," was my response to her, opening up the cabinet and reaching up for a bowl.

She let out a small scream in frustration, and I flinched a little bit because it hurt my ears. If Lacey was anything, it was definitely shrill.

When Leo came into the kitchen from his office, I let out a sigh. Everything was about to get so much worse.

"Can you keep it down?" he snapped, his eyes narrowing at me. "I'm trying to work."

I wanted to tell him that it was his own daughter that was being loud, but I knew there was no point because I was sure he was already aware of that fact. She could have been screaming at the top of her lungs while I was quiet as a mouse and he still would have blamed me. Because he thought Lacey could do no wrong while I was the devil himself.

"Of course, Daddy," Lacey smiled at her fat her, and I rolled my eyes. She was such a completely different person around others it wasn't even funny.

Leo went back into his office and Lacey's happy face immediately contorted back into her usual scowl whenever she was around me. I still didn't understand why she hated me as much as she did, but honestly I didn't care. It was the same for Leo. They weren't important enough to care about.

When the doorbell rang, I felt a little relieved. At least it was a reason to get away from her, even if it was just for a little bit.

But when I opened the door, all my relief vanished, because there stood Quinn, grin and all.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, my eyes narrowing at him. I then realized the other Lost Boys were behind him, including Luke. I practically squawked.

"We can't just come to visit, my love?" Quinn asked me with a grin.

I scowled at him. "Don't call me that!"

"But it's so cute," he snickered. "Just like you!"

There was no point in continuing to argue with him. No matter what I said, he'd find absolutely anything to say to annoy me.

"Is it okay that we're here?" Luke asked me.

"Of course!" I gasped without a second thought. Quinn rolled his eyes at me. "Come in!"

I felt a little hypocritical for being happy that Luke was at my house while I was upset that Quinn was there with him. I was completely indifferent about the other two.

"Don't act too desperate, Ebony," Keegan whispered with a smile as he walked past me. "Luke might figure out how you feel."

I rolled my eyes. "What a tragedy that would be."