Chapter: 17

Toby's POV

4 weeks later

I can't believe my little girl is starting school. Yesterday seems like I brought her home for the first time.

I finish packing her lunch and put it in her Disney princesses backpack. She picked it out when we went shopping last week.

Spencer comes downstairs and waits at the bottom.

"May I present you miss Avery Cavanaugh." She smiles.

Avery walks down the stairs with a big grin across her face. She gets to the bottom and twirls to show me her outfit. I clap my hands and Avery runs to me.

"You look beautiful princess." I smile picking her up

"Thank you." She smiles

"Is my princess ready for her first day of school." I ask.

She nods and I put her back down. I hand her her backpack. She takes it and puts it on.

"Avery put on you shoes." Spencer says.

"Ok!" She beams.

Spencer walks over to me and hugs me. I smile and kiss her head.

"I love you." She whispers

"I love you too." I whisper back.

Avery finishes putting on her shoes and stands up.

"Ready!" She giggles.

I smile and we head outside to Spencer's car. Avery runs to the door and opens it. She tries to climb up but she still isn't tall enough. I pick her up and set her in her carseat. She takes of her backpack and puts it beside her. Then I buckle her in. When I close the door Spencer's already in the car. I go to the passenger side door and get in.

When we arrive at the school Avery giggles with excitement. I pull her out of the car and grab her backpack. Spencer pulls out her phone and takes pictures of Avery.

We walk Avery to her class, the teacher talks to us. Avery starts talking to another girl. Soon enough the bell rings and me and Spencer have to leave. I wave by to Avery and she waves back.

We get back to the car. Spencer hugs me.

"I'm already missing her." She whispers.

"I know." I say rubbing my hands up her back.

We stay like that for minutes until Spencer pulls away.

"We have to keep ourselfs occupied for 6 hours, what are we gonna do." She asks.

"I have somethings in mind." I smirk.

She smiles then playfully hits my arm.

"Toby that's just weird but you are right." She smiles again then climbs into the car.

Wait did she just agree to, well we are engaged. I climb into the car and Spencer drives back to the house.

Once we arrive at the house I pull her up the stairs into our bedroom. She grins as I pull her in for a kiss. We continue until our clothes are off.

Spencer's POV

I wake up next to Toby. He's smiling and playing with my hair.

"What time is it." I ask sitting up

"3, why." He replies

"Shit, We have to get Avery." I say grabbing my clothes off the floor.

Toby does the same, did he really forget that Avery was at school. We change quickly and rush to the school.

When we get there Avery is playing on the playground with the girl from earlier. We go and sit on the bench.

"Daddy!" Avery yells when she sees us sit down.

"Hey sweetie." He yells back.

She quickly runs over jumping into Toby's lap.

"Where's your backpack?" I ask

"Over there." She says pointing to a tree.

She goes back to talking to Toby so I get up to retrive her bag. I grab it and walk back to the bench. Avery was now back at the playground.

"So does she love school?" I ask sitting down.

"Yeah she does and she said the teacher called her really smart." He smiles.

"That's great. I'm glad she likes it." I smile

"She's gets her smartness from you." He says.

"She has Hastings blood in her." I smirk.

We continue watching Avery play. Her friend went home a little later. Soon enough it was almost 4 so we had to go home.

Avery skips to the car and Toby lifts her in. I get in the driver's side. Then we drive home. In the car Avery talks about what they did in school. From drawing to singing the abc's.

We arrive home and I start to make dinner. Toby puts in a movie for Avery then comes to help me.

"I love you." He says while placing plates on the table.

"I love you too." I smile.

When dinner is ready I place it on the table and Toby calls for Avery. She runs into the kitchen and takes a seat at the table. We eat dinner and talk a little.

When we finish Toby puts the dishes in the sink. Then we go upstairs.

"Avery its bath night." I say as she climbs up the stairs.

"Ok Mommy." She answers.

I start the bath while Avery takes off her clothes. She gets in the tub and plays with her toys. Toby joins us and sits down beside me.

"Daddy,Mommy?" Avery asks

"Yes." We say in unsion

"Can I see my aunties and uncles soon." She says.

"Soon baby, we'll have to ask." I reply.

She nods then continues to play with her toys. I add soap to her hair and then rinse it out.

When her bath is done Toby helps her change and carries her to bed. She giggles the whole way. I go into my room and change into my pyjamas. Then hop into bed Toby joins me a few minutes later.

"She's growing up." He sighs.

"You still have 14 more years til she moves out." I reasure him.

"I wish we had more time." He says.

"I do too." I whisper.

He wraps his arms around me and we drift off to sleep. We might not have all the time in the world to take care of her. But we'll always love her.

Should I skip a year or couple of months in the next chapter. The next chapter might be Hanna's wedding. -Alexa