8.0

The next day, Edward picked Bella and Kate up promptly at six and took them to his house. Despite the tough exterior, Kate was truly nervous for tonight. Tonight would be the night that she told Bella the truth. The drive to the Cullen's house was through many trees and off the beaten path so she had plenty of time to think of how she was going to tell Bella.

"Kate, calm down," Edward told her.

She looked at him in the rear view mirror and saw him looking at her with worry. Kate knew that he had read her mind and was responding to what she was thinking.

"What if I lose my sister? I've lied to her this long," she thought

"You'll be fine," he said smoothly.

All plans and worry were out of her brain the moment that the saw the Cullen's house. It was stunning. It's glass walls and open exterior were the stuff of dreams. The Swan girls were in awe.

"This is incredible. It's so light and open, you know?" Bella said.

Kate was still whirling around looking at the place.

"What did you expect? Coffins and dungeons and moats?" Edward laughed.

Kate said, "Yes," at the very same moment Bella said, "Not the moats."

Edward led the girls upstairs and Kate was filled with a glorious sensation of heaven in her nose. Spices of all sorts filled her nostrils and even without Edward she was sure she could find her way to the kitchen. They rounded the corner and Kate was face-to-face with four vampires. She smiled at Rosalie, Emmett, and Carlisle when she saw them. The fourth vampire was a beautiful woman who, when Kate looked at her, reminded her of her own mother. She strode toward Kate and Bella with a huge, warm smile on her face.

"Bella, Kate, we're making Italiano for you girls," the woman said.

Kate's face lit up, "That smells amazing!"

The woman's smile grew even more.

"Bella, Kate, this is my mother Esme for all intents and purposes," Edward explained.

"Bongiorno," Bella greeted her awkwardly.

"Molto Bene," Esme replied.

Carlisle joined in, "You're giving us an excuse to use the kitchen for the first time."

"I hope you're hungry," Esme added.

Kate nodded hear head while Bella shuffled awkwardly.

"Bella already ate," Edward quietly told Esme.

What happened next was more of a reflex more than anything else. Rosalie and Emmett had been preparing a salad but when Edward said this, the glass salad bowl shattered under Rosalie's angry grip. Before Kate could stop herself she flung out her left hand and stopped the bowl and its contents from crashing to the floor.

The room seemed to pause as what just happened set in. Bella jumped back away from her sister with a little squeak and looked at her with wide eyes. Realizing what she had done, Kate let everything fall to the floor and she too backed away. No one said anything. Carlisle recovered first.

"Bella, there's something your sister needs to explain," he began.

Kate and Bella would not look at each other. Rosalie flitted to Kate's side while Edward put his arms around Bella.

"Tell her," Rosalie said right next to Kate's ear.

She looked up to see Bella looking at her almost scared.